Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Math in UpWork Freelancer Guide

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Steve B Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
1 of 8

"Service fees For each payment it processes, Upwork charges a 10% service fee, which is generally paid by the freelancer. For example, if you agree to perform a project for $200, you’ll receive $180, and Upwork will receive $20. Because of this, many freelancers choose to add a small mark-up to their rate to account for this business expense (for instance, charging $220, so that they will receive a flat $200)."

$220 * 10% (.1) = $22

$220 - $22 = $198

This should say:

"(for instance, charging $222.222, so that they will receive a flat $200)."

It matters to include the additional decimal place at the end as rounding will affect value with other values, although not specifically with $222.222.

$99.99 * 10% (.1) = $9.999

$99.99 - $9.999 = $89.991 = $89.99 rounded

So $99.99 will not return $90, but $99.999 should*.

* I am assuming the UpWork system allows for entering up to 3 decimial places, just keep to even dollar values for the target payout, though it depends when UpWork applies rounding.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tarpinder S Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 8

I think the client is aware that 10% is going to be deducted and retained by the upwork and rest is to be paid to freelancer.

Any way a good client will find the good freelancer without worrying for some extra $.

Thanks for sharing this.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Steve B Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
3 of 8

I'm not sure if you read carefully enough what I wrote above or took note of the title - this thread refers to the welcome guide that is presented to new UpWork users.

I did forget to link to it, which is found here:

https://d1u2uhea8ugy8e.cloudfront.net/upwork_freelancer_guide.pdf

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
4 of 8

@Steve B wrote:

I'm not sure if you read carefully enough what I wrote above or took note of the title - this thread refers to the welcome guide that is presented to new UpWork users.

I did forget to link to it, which is found here:

https://d1u2uhea8ugy8e.cloudfront.net/upwork_freelancer_guide.pdf

This has been discussed and explained so many times I can't count them all.

Try search and you'll get your answers. Nothing is wrong.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
5 of 8
No, Steve is right. The guide is incorrect. As far as I know, previous discussions have been about the amount of the actual fee, not the wording in the guide.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 8

What Upwork needs right now is for some **bleep** good editors and typesetters to collate, edit and put all this information coherently into one searchable area, so that everyone can easily find it. The ToS also need an overhaul, as a lot of "must-not" rules, as understood  by Upwork, are simply not detailed.

(FWIW - I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I can't search the questions in the help pages. The magnifying glass does not work for me - whatever browser I am using.)

This is not really OT, just enlarging upon it. The 10% math has been much discussed - but do you think anyone can find it? I thought this was what the new "Content" page was for - clarification. Although I cannot see why freelancers should be clarifying Upwork's arcane system.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
James T Member Since: Oct 12, 2015
7 of 8

Billion Dollar company for a reason

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
8 of 8

Hi All,

Thank you for bringing it up and sorry about delayed response. We have gotten a confirmation from the team that the error in the Freelancer Manual will be fixed in the next couple of weeks.

~ Valeria
Untitled

View solution in original post

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS