annesophiel

Bad Review - Need Help

Hello,

I recently got my first contract that the employer and I agreed to. The contract said 30 mins of transcription with a price already set for the project (not per hour). I ended up spending 11h25 in the last two days working on the project. The employer said I did the work perfectly and wanted to do more business with me. The person ended up telling me that I have more files to do. Which I then said, "No problem, that means if I do 60 minutes, I will be paid doubled the price, correct?". The person then said that the 60 minutes were part of the contract (which the 60 minutes is indicated nowhere, it only says 30 minutes for the price set). I am new to Upwork and this is my first contract. It will be my first review and I am afraid I will get a bad reputation because of that which isn't my fault whatsoever. Anyone else experienced this before?

Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,

Anne-Sophie L.

8 REPLIES 8
sharonliu

I have not experienced this myself, but I think your ability to bargain with the client depends on your ability to find work elsewhere. If you can afford to insist on being paid separately, by all means do so.

tlsanders

Someone else had this exact experience with a transcription client a few weeks ago and wrote about it in the forums. It would be worth sharing details with a moderator so they can check into whether this is a recurring problem with a particular client.

martinceisel

Also, you can recover from a bad contract early on. I did. One of my first bad contracts dipped my JSS into the 70s. I'm back up to 90 now. It's like a hangover—the system just needs time to cycle out toxins.

kat303

You did 11 1/4 hours of work that was advertised as a 30 minute job??????  Was this a fixed rate contract? If that is what the contract says (fixed rate) , then that is what you do. 30 minutes. Anything above and beyond that constitues additional payment. Doing that is referred to as scope creep.

If the contract was an hourly contract, fine, you will be paid for however many hours it will take you. as long as you use Time Tracker And type in notes on the screen shots it takes.  So, if they say they will pay you the same, make sure it's an hourly contract,

IMO I wouldn't agree to a fixed price contract with this client. They are someone who knows the system, is looking for inexperienced new freelancers that they can take advantage of. Again, from what you said, IMO, If it were me, I wouldn't work with this client again and certainly wouldn't let them take advantage of me.

You may get a bad feedback no matter what you do. Just remember to respond to it in a very professional way, pointing out the facts, short and sweet.

Hello Kathy,

I forgot to mention that the 30 minutes was referring to the audio file. I was just saying with the 11h25 that it is what I spent trying to make it perfect. I haven't gotten paid, the person said they would pay me tomorrow but I still fear I'll be getting a bad reputation. It being my first project on Upwork, people look at the reputation and hire you based on that. I was very professional and kind. I even said I'd be willing to do the rest as her satisfaction is my priority but then again, the review part is in that person's hands... 

Thank you for your insight!

Sincerely,

Anne-Sophie L.

@Anne-Sophie L wrote:

Hello Kathy,

I forgot to mention that the 30 minutes was referring to the audio file. I was just saying with the 11h25 that it is what I spent trying to make it perfect. I haven't gotten paid, the person said they would pay me tomorrow but I still fear I'll be getting a bad reputation. It being my first project on Upwork, people look at the reputation and hire you based on that. I was very professional and kind. I even said I'd be willing to do the rest as her satisfaction is my priority but then again, the review part is in that person's hands...

You DO have a contract for this, right? And it is fully funded, right?

If you take 11 and a half hours to transcribe half an hour of audio maybe transcription isn't for you....

Hello Petra,

I have the contract, yes and it says half of it is funded. It was different clips which were hard to hear, the person knew in advance. I have done a lot of transcription in the past so it's not an issue.

@Anne-Sophie L wrote:

Hello Petra,

I have the contract, yes and it says half of it is funded.

You should only ever submit the work that corresponds to the funded milestone.

Say 30 minutes worth were funded, you submit 30 minutes worth of transcription...

There is no reason to fear a bad review, and certainly no reason to let someone cheat you out of fear of a bad review.