🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Bad experience on Upwork thusfar.
Page options
f03f0804
Community Member

Bad experience on Upwork thusfar.

So I've been on Upwork for about two months now. Used up my 20 credits for jobs that didn't hire anybody and closed. According to Upwork's rules, I don't get my credits back. I'm not a premium member because I'm trying out the website, therefore I'm not listed at (or even near) the top of anybody's list for potential freelancers. After all of this I just received an E-mail with the following:

**Edited for community guidelines**

This is hilariously offensive. Firstly, because not only am I definitely open for jobs, but I have logged in every day to check on potential jobs that I don't have any credits for because everything I've applied to has closed without hiring anybody, so I lose my credits. Upwork been a completely useless tool for getting started in freelancing, and I feel like I am (intentionally or otherwise) put at a disadvantage when I started here. This website was suggested to me by a friend and I've more than put my time in to make an attractive profile and I think my work speaks for itself.

I would like a representative from Upwork to explain to me why I should continue using their site or even think about buying credits, let alone a premium membership, when my profile hasn't even been sniffed by potential employers.

7 REPLIES 7
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Dj R,

I have been using Upwork and its predecessors for a few years. I win about 1-in-8 to 1-in-10 of the projects I submit proposals on and many of these are projects where the client has invited me to submit a proposal on.

You will need to submit at least 50, and maybe 100 or more, proposals on Upwork before you will have any inkling of whether Upwork is right for you. Some specialties here are very competitive, so winning 1-in-15 or even 1-in-20 projects you apply for may be an average result. And you may have to expend 6 connects on many or most of your proposals, which means 20 connects will allow you to make just three proposals, which is really barely scratching the surface when it comes to submitting a steady flow of target proposals.

Good luck!

Premium membership has no effect on how you are listed.  Listings are random.

Frankly, if you've been here for several years and still not doing well, perhaps freelancing is not for you.  It certainly doesn't work for everybody.

petra_r
Community Member

Dj R wrote:

I have logged in every day to check on potential jobs that I don't have any credits for

Then buy connects. What is the point of logging in every day to look at jobs you would apply to if you had connects and not buy connects to apply?

Dj R wrote:

I would like a representative from Upwork to explain to me why I should continue using their site or even think about buying credits, let alone a premium membership, when my profile hasn't even been sniffed by potential employers.

Obviously nobody will "explain to you why you should continue using the site" 

As was pointed out, you've applied to next to nothing. Chances of any unsolicitated approaches from clients that are not scams are slim to nil due to the fact that you have no history. That is normal for new freelancers, especially in the current climate.

Either give it a proper go (and that will involve buying connects) or just leave it be.

Don't expect the platform to try and sell itself to you or beg you to stay. The site is flooded with freelancers (now more than ever) and you haven't yet made any money (not surprising if you only applied for a handful of gigs) so it's likely neither here nor there to Upwork whether you stay or leave. 

JoanneP

Hi Dj,

I checked your account, and I can see that our team reached out to you about your account status. Please check the email from the team, and please follow the steps they shared on your ticket. Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
tlbp
Community Member

Upwork is a method business owners who provide services (freelancers) use to generate leads. It costs time and money to generate leads. If one lead generation method isn't working, then you can either write it off as not the right method for you or experiment to see if you can make it work. 

You aren't missing any secret, it really doesn't make sense for many of the freelancers here to continue to invest in a strategy that isn't working for them. For some, they are purchasing hope, not connects. If you don't have other alternatives that look more attractive, then make a real investment to test the market. If you already have other channels to generate leads, why spend here? 

oscarhandsome
Community Member

This is normal.

Hiring depends on many facts. 

I have used Upwork 3 month, and I paid for the memberships. And didn't get a project, even projects for 10-50$. In the beginning. 

And got 1rst project after 1 year. I think this is just luck. Because many people want to earn money like you. me and others.

Yes, luck is a factor.

And skill.

And hard work.

And determination.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths