Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad experience purchasing a Plus plan

edg40
Ace Contributor
Edward G Member Since: Sep 22, 2014
1 of 22

I upgraded my account to Plus level on April 23rd.  Instead of 70 connects being added to my account as per the Plus plan description, only 48 connects were added.  I contacted support and was told the rest would be available the next day.  They were not.

I re-contaced support and this time was told I would get 70 only on May 24th.  So I was cheated out of 22 connects in my first month as a Plus member!!

Be very wary of the Plus program.  It may not be what it is claimed to be.

Ed

lenaellis
Lena E Moderator Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
2 of 22

Hi Ed,

When you upgrade to a Plus membership you will earn an additional 10 Connects per month, 60 basic + 10 connects (Plus Member)= 70 connects. Essentially, connects are $1/connect so you are purchasing 10 connects for $10, but also receiving the additional perks of having the Plus membership. With the membership you also have the following abilities:

• Buy additional Connects 
  • Rollover privileges so that unused Connects can be carried over to the following billing cycle
  • Visibility into your competitors’ bids on jobs.

When you upgraded, I'm assuming that you already had 38 connects and thus the upgrade alotted you 10 to give you 48 connects.

This link will also provide you with information on the Plus Membership.

-Lena

Untitled
edg40
Ace Contributor
3 of 22

No, when I upgraded I had 0 connects and the system added just 48 connects.  It should have added 70 connects.  That is what the $10 per month buys.

Here is how the Plus plan works:  The day you purchase the upgrade becomes your new billing cycle start date.  The end date is set to 1 month after that.  70 new connects are added to your account immediately upon confirmed payment.

I don't know what happens with existing free connects because I didn't have any.  I suspect you would lose them.

In my case, only 48 connects out of 70 were added to my account when I purchased the Plus plan. 

Here is the latest from support:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
4 of 22

If you had 0 connects left out of the 60 that are free, then when you upgraded you should have only received 10 connects.

The first 60 connects are what everyone gets. Plus members get an extra 10. So you actually are way ahead of the game with an extra 38 connects.

I don't think I'd be complaining. You used 60 and then got an extra 48 which comes to 108 connects total for them month. The rest of us got 70.

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
5 of 22

@Edward G wrote:

Here is how the Plus plan works:  The day you purchase the upgrade becomes your new billing cycle start date.  The end date is set to 1 month after that.  70 new connects are added to your account immediately upon confirmed payment.

Hi Edward, I assume you do know that Lena is the Community Manager, so I would be a bit more hesitant about emphatically telling her how things (oDesk related matters) work.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
edg40
Ace Contributor
6 of 22

It doesn't matter if Lena is Community Manager. Her answer was incorrect. Here is the official new policy: How does membership billing work?

natacharodriguez
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
7 of 22

I hope they don’t take long to get back to you.

Here it’s saying we get 70 connects

The Details

Here’s how the plans compare:

• Connects – Virtual tokens all freelancers must submit in order to apply for a job. Basic includes 60 Connects per monthly cycle. Plus includes 70, as well as the additional benefits below.

Yet, here it’s saying 10

The Background

Freelancers who upgrade to a Plus plan earn an additional 10 Connects per month, the ability to buy additional Connects as needed, rollover privileges so that unused Connects can be carried over to the following billing cycle, and visibility into their competitors’ bids on jobs.

hughzee
Hugh W Member Since: May 3, 2016
8 of 22

Why do I have to have a plus plan to bid on a job? Will more and more jobs require the freelancer to upgrade as Upwork seeks to shake every dime out of us? I have used Upwork for a year and today was forced to add information and found multiple jobs requiring a plus plan to bid. Is this the beginning of a whole new round of squeezing us freelancers? Can I ask to not get job invitations from jobs that require an upgrade and can we filter the jobs so I don't get nauseated every time I see a job that requires an upgrade to bid on it? What percentage of jobs require an upgrade now to bid versus one year ago? Shouldn't us freelancers know if the percent is going higher? 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 22

Hi Hugh,

You are not required to upgrade your Membership to apply for jobs on Upwork. You can apply to any jobs as long as you have available connects.

~ Valeria
Upwork
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 22

Hugh, can you be more specific about what you're seeing on "multiple jobs" that indicates you must have a Plus Plan to bid? I've never seen that, and Valeria seems to be saying no such distinction exists.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS