🐈 Community
miff78

Bad review for nothing

Am new on platform, I only took three jobs, two clients.

One job was full solution (server, client, CMS...) it's great, for both sides.

Second was a little bit unclear what client actually want but everything is enden good, five star, good reviews.

Third job was for the same client, but this time I need to login to Slack, Trello, Skype and five - six some more web apps for communication... no problem. I meet about ten to twelve people (not run timer for this, to be clear this take me all day). Thay give me a repo with half-finished app (iOS written in Swift), before me, four developers working on this project, any developer must admit that is a hell for a new comer, but ok.

I managed to get around, even they find guy who work before me to have call with me.

I started to dive into tasks but the app is really full of bugs and not working at all, API is almost not working all time, it’s hard to even call it “Restful API server”, for me this is a problem, need to implement something that not work at all, so started to ask one guy, some kind of project manager (not the client who make contract with me, because this person not even on this team on Slack/Trello/Skype/GitLab), and PM point to some other guy, this guy point to designer who knows API developers… And this is a main loop for me, for every problem i get in same coroutine every time.

Third day (10h billed totally), Upwork desktop app put some message like: Something is happening with your contract with XX, we suggest to wait until this problem is not resolved.

Ok, I goto Slack and write to #general that my contract is suspended and if anybody know why need to tell me. Designer, API developer and some other guy (i don't know roles), started in private conversation what contract and what suspensions… So I explain a little more and they so confused that i'm came from Upwork to work with them, after 1h they kicked me from project on Slack.

Than I get notification that contract is ended, I make review for client (4 starts) and then I see his rewiev for me:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**.”

So, what to do in this situations? Every advice is welcome

Thanks,
Milan Djordjevic

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Seeing the feedback you mentioned and your reply to it on your profile is a little bit like watching your parents fight: awkward and scary.

Do not engage in bad feedback, you will always look defensive. 

If you want to get rid of it, refund the money. It will have an effect on your (future) job success score as a contract with no money paid, but at least it will disappear. 

As you have just started out, maybe it is on option to consider. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Seeing the feedback you mentioned and your reply to it on your profile is a little bit like watching your parents fight: awkward and scary.

Do not engage in bad feedback, you will always look defensive. 

If you want to get rid of it, refund the money. It will have an effect on your (future) job success score as a contract with no money paid, but at least it will disappear. 

As you have just started out, maybe it is on option to consider. 

Thanks, basically need to make refund and bad review will disappear?

@Milan D wrote:

Thanks, basically need to make refund and bad review will disappear?

The public / visible feedback yes.

Private feedback no. And the private feedback will hammer your JSS when you get it.

Just to summarize, I return money every time the client is not satisfied, and my time can not be returned. (Money is not a problem to emphasize), by the way my rank always falls ...

A very interesting approach, theoretically: I was the fifth developer on this project, every dev work 10 hours and than refunds,and the project almost finished, of course this is just a hypothetical conclusion.

Thank you all for advice, I will refund 

@Milan D wrote:

Just to summarize, I return money every time the client is not satisfied, and my time can not be returned. (Money is not a problem to emphasize), by the way my rank always falls ...

A very interesting approach, theoretically: I was the fifth developer on this project, every dev work 10 hours and than refunds,and the project almost finished, of course this is just a hypothetical conclusion.

Thank you all for advice, I will refund 

you don't have to do that, it is just an option. It depends what is important to you at this point, keep the money or keep the feedback. 

In general, it is wise to chose projects carefully and understand what is required BEFORE you accept an offer. Declining an offer has no negative consequences to your rating. 

When problems arise during a project, I guess you have received valuable input now on what to do or not to do. 

I know, but before this contract, I did the contract for the same client, I did it successfully and without problems, I even did a job twice as fast as predicted. 

@Milan D wrote:

I know, but before this contract, I did the contract for the same client, I did it successfully and without problems, I even did a job twice as fast as predicted. 

Precisely, that should give an idea that the real problem is not the client per se. The first job went well, the second.. well... let's just say it went... south? The client was satisfied enough to hire you again, but after this second job result, I think no more.

Regarding to this problem and advice from all of you (Thanks again), how to put money to my balance to make refund (I have 0)?

aocumen
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Milan, 

The public feedback will disappear if you issue a refund, but the private feedback will still remain, and will be included in the Job Success Score calculation. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Thanks Avery

petra_r

Milan D wrote:.

Ok, I goto Slack and write to #general that my contract is suspended and if anybody know why need to tell me. Designer, API developer and some other guy (i don't know roles), started in private conversation what contract and what suspensions… So I explain a little more and they so confused that i'm came from Upwork to work with them, after 1h they kicked me from project on Slack.

Yeah. You so, SO do not do that. That's entirely unacceptable behaviour. You discuss it with the person who hired you. NOBODY else, let alone #general in the company's Slack. What in the world were you thinking?

@Milan D wrote:

So, what to do in this situations? Every advice is welcome

Nothing. The damage is done and was made even worse by your response to the feedback. If you are totally desperate to have that feedback off your profile the only way to make it go away would be a full refund.

In future, don't react before thinking. ONLY discuss cintracts with the person who hired you.

Don't react to feedbak until 24 hours have passed, and then write our response and wait another 24 hours.

Most angry reponses are more damaging than the feedback they are responding to.

@Milan D wrote:

Am new on platform, I only took three jobs, two clients.

Third day (10h billed totally), Upwork desktop app put some message like: Something is happening with your contract with XX, we suggest to wait until this problem is not resolved.

Than I get notification that contract is ended, I make review for client (4 starts) and then I see his rewiev for me:

That, right there is exactly where the problem is, not the suspended contract, you get that, don't you?

If you have any kind of problem with your contract, you message thru Upwork Chat, that is address to the person who hired you or whoever is involved with your contract directly, and only that person will know what you were talking about, but please don't go into a general chat with this. Don't take it the wrong way, but it's just common sense.

Learning Paths