elastella

Baffling mismatch of hours worked/money earned in work history

I just saw this in a freelancer's work history and wonder what's up with this:

Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 20.52.42.png

Those are the provider's only contracts so far. 

Is this a bug or a feature? Are those merged fixed-price and hourly contracts?

Doesn't really make sense though, does it, if one assumes that it's the same client.

This platform gets more mysterious with every passing day...

13 REPLIES 13
tlsanders

Could they have switched to fixed rate? Or just be paying for add-ons as bonuses after the initial small project?

Tiffany, maybe - but I am rather sure it's the same client and project as the job titles are identical.

One would expect them to go for one type of job after (potentially) switching the first time, don't you think?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

Farmer, agency, money laundering...?

@Margarete M wrote:

No agency associated with this profile. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Ela K wrote:

@Margarete M wrote:

No agency associated with this profile. 

I suppose the agency can be hidden. In either case this is very strange... Work done outside of Upwork but paid on Upwork? Or one hour worked and the work was so great that a bonus of more than 13,000 USD was given? Woman Wink

I bet the client started paying in bonuses after the initial hour, or set up a weekly salary (more likely!)

@Petra R wrote:

I bet the client started paying in bonuses after the initial hour, or set up a weekly salary (more likely!)

Only to pay for another 7 initial hours on the 2nd contract before resorting to changing the payment system once more?

As I said, it's the same (specific) job title, hence the same client.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I wish I had such large amounts on my profile whereever they may come from...
milescristi

I'm experiencing something similar on my profile and I'm really annoyed.
I had a client and I worked for him 500h. The pay was 9 $/h for 480h and then we agreed to reduce the rate for the last 20h to 5 $/h. While the contract was active there were 2 individual positions for each contract on my public profile and now that both contracts ended thay appear as one contract. That's not really an issue for me but now it says that I worked 500h for 5$/h! And of course the amount earned is much bigger than 2500 (=5 x 500h).

This is so unfair. I'm trying to gradually raise my rate and they make it even harder whith their stupid way of merging contracts. Is there any place where I/we can fill a complaint or make suggestions for change? Do they even care?

I talked to someone from support and they simply said the system is designed that way. I am really disappointed.

Do you have some suggestions?

Later edit: What if I give a refund for the last 20h and ask the client to open a new hourly contract for the same amount but fewer hours at the rate of the first contract? Would the refund affect my JSS?

Thank you!

Cristian

Cristian - when contracts that went through rate changes end, the last rate is the one that shows up on the freelancer's profile. That's great for rate increases, but terrible for situations like yours (and mine, as I've had his problem too).

@Cristian S wrote:

Later edit: What if I give a refund for the last 20h and ask the client to open a new hourly contract for the same amount but fewer hours at the rate of the first contract? Would the refund affect my JSS?

Thank you!

Cristian

better; neater, and less hasslesome option:
Get client to raise the rate again for the remaining 20 hours.
milescristi

Thank you for your answers.

Loredana, I already knew that as the person from support made it very clear to me. My question was if there is a place where we can make suggestions for Upwork to change that.

Petra, the relationship with that client has come to an end for now, I'm not working for him anymore. Will the refund affect my JSS?

Hi Cristian,

I understand your frustration and will share your feedback with the team.

Regarding your second question, refunds don't affect the Job Success Score and this contract will positively affect your reputation since you were paid for your work and your client left feedback on the contract.

Untitled