🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Ban average, everyday people from being "clie...
Page options
matthew24857
Community Member

Ban average, everyday people from being "clients"

Are there any real companies on Upwork? It seems like almost every "client" I've ever had is some average, everyday person with $20 - $100 in his pocket to spend on some silly side project his own boss asked him to do, and there's no possibility of repeat business even if the job was done perfectly. It can't pay my bills, even if I was willing to work all day, everyday.

In the real-world, 1099 contractors get hundreds of hours of work and get paid thousands of dollars. It's a profession, not a once-a-month hobby like Internet "freelancing".

My most recent "client" confessed to being an intern (before I was able to finish the work, so I'm glad I didn't). Not only did he not have any money. I question the ethics of doing an intern's work for him. Aren't intern's basically students? (The contract is canceled. It only wasted my time before I found out who he was.)

Fast-food pays more than Upwork.

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Matthew wrote:

(The contract is canceled. It only wasted my time before I found out who he was.)

Great, there'll be another furious post on Sunday when the "nothing paid" contract tanks your already appalling JSS even further

Fast-food pays more than Upwork.

You mean "Fast food pays YOU more than Upwork (clients.)"

This may be true.

Go flip burgers then.

Are there any real companies on Upwork?

Yes, there are. If you can't access them, that's due to your profile, your proposals, your skills and your attitude.

In the real-world, 1099 contractors get hundreds of hours of work and get paid thousands of dollars. It's a profession, not a once-a-month hobby like Internet "freelancing".

So, how is freelancing in the real world working out for ya? 

So you want Upwork to ban the only people who have been willing to hire you so far?

Try running that through your mind a few times. 

florydev
Community Member

Dear Upwork Diary, I reach out to you once again to express my anger and frustration.  I just wish there was someplace I could engage with other people and find out what I am doing wrong.  As far as I can tell this Upwork thing is a complete joke and nobody is able to make a real living doing it. I can't find a single example of anywhere of people able to do it successfully.

Oh well, at least I have you to share my frustrations with Diary since you are the only one who will listen.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members