cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank Account info at risk?

Community Guru
Steve B Member Since: Jul 1, 2015
1 of 9

I would like to know if our bank account information was compromised when the site exposed other users accounts as reported earlier today. 

Wow, what a mess of a website. 

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
2 of 9

I'd like to know that too.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
3 of 9

Same here, although judging by some of the replies on the other posts about the profiles issue earlier... I'm hoping it's safe to assume that since only the profile information (i.e: profile picture, overview, etc... not profile settings) were affected, and the payments/billing pages were showing correctly, I guess bank accounts should still be secure. I hope.

Community Guru
4 of 9

Yeah I think you are right Dawn.  Thanks --

Ace Contributor
Geoff F Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
5 of 9

@Steve B wrote:

I would like to know if our bank account information was compromised when the site exposed other users accounts as reported earlier today. 

Wow, what a mess of a website. 

Maybe bank account information wasn't compromised this time but with Upworks current performance don't hold your breath that it won't be in the near future.

And isn't calling it a mess of a website being a tad charitable

Community Guru
6 of 9

Yeah Geoff I was trying to remain charitableSmiley Happy  It amazes me they don't have competition coming at them 190 miles an hour!  

This is supposed to be the new way to work and you would think the biggest operation could engineer and operate an Amazon-quality website.

Last week I was checking out their CEO on LinkedIn, he has an amazing engineering background and seemingly is the ideal sort of person to fix it.  But the stability and security issues seem to be getting worse.  I've only been here for a couple of months though, so I don't have much perspective. 

Ace Contributor
Geoff F Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
7 of 9

Steve. Just because someone has an amazing engineering background doesn't mean they know squat about running a business. For my money I'd prefer an experienced business professional to be in charge.

Community Guru
8 of 9

I concur.  What is striking about Upwork is how they do not communicate.  The entire proposal mechanism went non-functional for most of a week, and they stayed largely quiet.  Some modest credits were given but this was something that dramatically reduced many freelancers monthly income.  They never did come out and make any statement about it.  Doesn't exactly inspire confidence, with the site going up and down, security breaches, bugs etc. 

Communication: the #1 rule for crisis management. 

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
9 of 9

Hi Steve,

No, your bank account details were not compromised and your identity is safe. Please take a look at the announcement we posted here.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS