🐈 Community
andrewc15

Bank account numbers

I am attempting to apply for a job but Upwork is locking me out of applying without my bank account numbers to confirm my location. I am really uncomfortable supplying anyone with my bank account and routing numbers, as these could then be used to write a "check" on my account.

Is this really Upwork doing this, or is it a scam?

5 REPLIES 5
katrinabeaver

No, this is how Upwork verifies you are a US citizen in their US only projects. I haven't had a problem with doing it. It's secure and no one's going to use it. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Andrew,

That's correct, we have decided to check if a freelancer has a verified U.S. bank account as a screen to confirm location. With respect to your concern about the security of your financial information, please rest assured that Upwork securely stores all confidential information, such as banking and financial information.

~ Valeria
Upwork

HELLO I MADE A PAYMENT OF 10 DOLLARS, AND DID NOT SEND ME THE TWO NUMBERS THAT ASK TO CONFIRM ADDRESS, AND ONE MONTH AFTER AND NOTHING THAT MONEY WAS LOST, I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO APPLY ACA WORKS IN THE UNITED STATES

Hi Libardo,

I can see that you have an open ticket regarding your bank verification which has not yet been completed, I will go ahead and follow up with the team handling the ticket and you will be updated directly. Thank you

~Nina
bobafett999

@Andrew C wrote:

I am really uncomfortable supplying anyone with my bank account and routing numbers, as these could then be used to write a "check" on my account.

Is this really Upwork doing this, or is it a scam?

If I were to rephrase Petra, every check you have ever written in your life has those infformation.  Banks have a safe mechanism - they only accept "push" they don't let anyone do a "pull"  unless you have set it up yourself. 

Learning Paths