🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Bank name vs. Upwork name
Page options
josephinecnls
Community Member

Bank name vs. Upwork name

Hi.

Is it okay if my upwork name only has my first and last name while my bank account has my first name, middle initial and last name. Will there be a problem with the fund transfer? thank you.

example upwork name: John Smith
example bank acct name: John A. Smith
4 REPLIES 4
abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Josephine C wrote:
Hi.

Is it okay if my upwork name only has my first and last name while my bank account has my first name, middle initial and last name. Will there be a problem with the fund transfer? thank you.

example upwork name: John Smith
example bank acct name: John A. Smith

Yes, it is fine.

My bank account has my three names in full (not even middle name as initial) and I never had any issue when trying to do Local bank withdrawal in the past.

My Upwork profile has only two of my three names.

A few years ago my account was suspended because my Upwork profile name (no middle name) did not match my bank account name (included middle name). So has this changed? Is Upwork now allowing you to have a different profile name than your bank and ID?

re: "A few years ago my account was suspended because my Upwork profile name (no middle name) did not match my bank account name (included middle name). So has this changed? Is Upwork now allowing you to have a different profile name than your bank and ID?"

Upwork Forum moderators have routinely stated that the Upwork name does not need to be an exact match for the bank account name. But I don't know the details about how this is accomplished. Slight mismatches such as middle initials may require manual approval. Or there may be some types of variation that the automated algorithm can accept without manual intervention.

From a programming perspective, clearly the safest way to go is to have an exact match all around.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Whoever really bears that name John Smith must feel really worn out by now ;)Robot LOL

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths