Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bass ackwards

walkerrowe
Community Guru
Walker R Member Since: Sep 30, 2015
1 of 13

Upwork has got this feedback thing backwards.  As I understand it, yhe freelancer is required to give feedback to the client before the the client can give feedback to the freelancer.

In the writing category, where I work, the client asks for a document, I write in, and chao.  I never here from them again most of the time.  So I don't know if this guy is blue, green, difficult, whatever.  Forced to give a review I would just put "x."

Feedback is important to the freelancer for marketing purposes.  Who cares what people say about the client?  Of course you want to know if they commit fraud routinely, but that's not the real purpose of feedback as client's don't market themselves.

Please fix.  eLance has it going in the right direction.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 13

You don't have to leave them a review. I have a personal rule that I don't rate clients. The only thing is that you have to wait a couple of weeks to see it on your profile.

zoomconcepts
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
3 of 13

I don't know where you got your info but the only way you'd need to leave feedback first is if you close the contract on your end - which is something Upwork actively discourages. 

The ideal process - you do the work > client approves and pays > client closes contract. Client can't close contract without leaving feedback to you.

While I admit that the feedback system is not ideal and not exactly fair to the freelancer, it's necessary on both ends - when I'm considering taking on a new client, I'd very much like to read honest opinions from people who've worked with them before because it can tell me a lot about said client. And that IS the purpose of the feedback, so I do care what people say about the client. Regardless of who leaves feedback first, we still need it - on both ends of the system. 

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
4 of 13

@Bojana D wrote:

I don't know where you got your info but the only way you'd need to leave feedback first is if you close the contract on your end - which is something Upwork actively discourages. 

Likewise on the info source, Bojana: For dormant contracts, Upwork encourages closure by contractors at some top-secret point between failure of the client to close and Upwork's auto-closure.

Best,

Michael

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 13

@walker R wrote:

Upwork has got this feedback thing backwards.  As I understand it, yhe freelancer is required to give feedback to the client before the the client can give feedback to the freelancer.

No, you have it backwards. Totally!

Who-ever closes the contract is the one who is compelled to leave feedback, whether that is the client or the freelancer. The person who did not close the feedback can leave feedback up until 2 weeks after the contract was closed, or not,if they don't want to.

Usually it is MUCH better to get the client to close the contract rather than doing it yourself, which also guarantees feedback.

walkerrowe
Community Guru
6 of 13

Then that's the difference with eLance. On eLance you can give feedback without closing a job.

There really is no need to "close" any contracts there.  I mean the client never really does that.  There's no point. They just pay the bill and, voila, done.

I just close the jobs when they show up on my working jobs screen and I have not worked on them for some time to remove the clutter.

Anway, thanks for clearing this up.  Still seems odd as you could work with someone for months without closing the contract.

Walker

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 13

So how does this work? I have just had a job that was paid for and closed by the client. I was invited to leave feedback and told I would not see feedback to me unless I left feedback for the client, which as far as I remember, was the way it used to be on oDesk.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 13

@Nichola L wrote:

So how does this work? I have just had a job that was paid for and closed by the client. I was invited to leave feedback and told I would not see feedback to me unless I left feedback for the client, which as far as I remember, was the way it used to be on oDesk.

You can see feedback on either profile, or on the contract, either once both (!) parties have left feedback, or two weeks since the end of the contract have passed, whichever comes sooner.

This is to assure that feedback is double blind, meaning people can't wait to see what feedback has been left and then leave feedback according to what feedback has been left for them.

That is the same as it was on oDesk.

walkerrowe
Community Guru
9 of 13

Actually, thinking about it again, it is bass ackwards.  So you can't see your feedback unless you leave feedback?  But I never leave feedback.

I am going to try what that other person said and leave no feedback and wait a few weeks and see if it shows up.

Walker

zoomconcepts
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
10 of 13

It's the same - even if you don't leave feedback to the client, you'll see what they've left you anyway, in 14 days time. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS