cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batten down the hatches! Rough seas ahead.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 39

@Nichola L wrote:

Jennifer, I think they might be a llttle SCARED of you!  Keep it up! Smiley Happy

It's the Google Glasses, isn't it. Maybe it's my karma for cutting my corgi out of my profile pic. 

This is how I envision the guy in charge of invites when he comes across my name.

nope.jpg

Roberta B Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
12 of 39

My profile migrated but all my portfolio images are lost (even though the chat desk fool said the migration was "successful"). Now I'm trying to upload them manually and I've been waiting over an hour for one upload (200K) to finish. What's going on?

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
13 of 39

Roberta,

It should not take that long to upload a portfolio item, the upload process is fairly quick. I would recommend you closing out of the browser, deleting cache and trying again. Unfortunately, some types of portfolio images are not brought over during migration.  I apologize for the inconvenience of adding them manually, let us know if you encounter issues uploading and If it continues to take a long time. 

Thanks,

Lena

Untitled
14 of 39

I managed to get one uploaded by going to a different browser, but the second one won't display the image even though when I look at the item in edit mode it appears to have been uploaded -- twice. Even after quitting and relaunching all the browsers. I've been on upwork less than a day and I already hate it!

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
15 of 39

Roberta,

Im sorry for the frustration. I do see a few portfolio images displayed when looking at your profile. 

-Lena

Untitled
16 of 39

Yeah, I can't figure it out. If I look at the others in edit mode, the image is there, but it's not visible in my profile. If I delete the image and re-upload it, the same problem persists. In some of them, I can now see 3 images -- all the same -- in edit mode. Should it even be possible to upload more than one image for one portfolio item? Apparently they are not deleting and/or uploading correctly.

I also thought the thumbnail was where I could show a closeup of a headline or company logo, which would be good for me because I've had a lot of high profile clients like American Airlines, Godiva Chocolatier, Movado, PetsMart and Madison Square Garden. But it's not working like that -- the thumbnail looks exactly the same as the main image even though I cropped and saved a thumbnail especially for that spot.

Ace Contributor
German G Member Since: Jun 16, 2013
17 of 39

Oh! I already had a portfolio here. I didn't know the portfolio images were supposed to move. Mine didn't, but I'm very glad about it cause it would have been a mess to sort the chaos mixing both portfolios would create.

I see a lot of familiar faces here Smiley Very Happy

Although they may not recognize me, this may help: avatar_small.jpg

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
18 of 39

Germán,

Your Elance portfolio items may arrive over the next few days. One advantage of Upwork is that portfolio management, although it doesn't allow categories, is much less cumbersome for providers to manage and for clients to browse.

Welcome and good luck,

Michael

Ace Contributor
Althea Maefe S Member Since: Nov 6, 2014
19 of 39

Well, I have always been more of the then-oDesk-platform type of freelancer, that's where I started, all of my projects are from Upwork and though I tried Elance, I was never awarded a project.

I felt the same when they changed oDesk to Upwork, but I guess it is kind of different now because I never had to move my profile. We can only do what we have been doing for the longest time, adapt to the changes and weather the tide (if you are not at all spending a lot of time on Upwork, by tide, I mean the bugs and system maintenance.)

One of the first things I thought of is the number of people, a lot of people will comment badly on the changes, sure, we did so when oDesk changed. It's part of the process. But once the dust settles the majority would have moved to Upwork, so more people to bid on projects.  I hope they are ensuring that clients moved in as well because if not, we will be left with a pool of too many hungry freelancers and not much fish food.

Community Guru
Tamaz J Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
20 of 39

Hi,

I just got an email from Elance/Upwork with more or less precise timing what will happen.

This is from that email.

• In early August, new customers will no longer be able to register for Elance.
  • Starting in September, we’ll begin to limit the ability to post new jobs on Elance.
  • Through early 2016, you can continue your current projects on Elance. However, we encourage you to begin all new contracts on Upwork and move existing contracts to Upwork when possible.
  • Through mid-2016, you will still be able to access your messages, contacts, and files on Elance.

Again, they are asking to mimic my Elance profile here.

Honestly, I'm trying to postpone this profile merging as much as possible since there are lot's of problems here on the platform and not sure that everything will go smoothly after merging profiles...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS