🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Be careful when working for this guy: *ed...
Page options
tyler_nguyen_dev
Community Member

Be careful when working for this guy: *edited*

Hi there,

I'm a freelancer, 

I just apply a Laravel job from that guy, he told me that they will offer me a deal, I just accepted his offer.

But he also ask me to receive payment via Paypal (not via Upwork)

I have done some tasks for him (he will set the estimation for each task and we just allow to log within his given estimation)

I'm ok with that, till yesterday, he cancelled the Upwork offer and seems not checking my message on Skype

Just want you guys to be careful with this scammer.

17 REPLIES 17
michael_skaggs
Community Member

Tien N wrote:

This is against Upwork's Terms of Service. You should have reported him.

I have done some tasks for him (he will set the estimation for each task and we just allow to log within his given estimation)

In agreeing to be paid in this manner, you have also violated the TOS.

Please let me know how to report a client, 

I couldn't see any report buttons in either messages or contracts page.

mtngigi
Community Member

Tien N wrote:

Hi there,

I'm a freelancer, 

I just apply a Laravel job from that guy, he told me that they will offer me a deal, I just accepted his offer.

I'm ok with that, till yesterday, he cancelled the Upwork offer and seems not checking my message on Skype

Just want you guys to be careful with this scammer.

As Michail has pointed out - accepting payment outside of Upwork would be considered scamming Upwork, and not something you should be "okay" with. Both you and the client are not using Upwork as it is intended to be used.

This is my first offer. I just want to log all of my log time into Upwork after catch 20 working hours.

But this guy just told me to send payment via Paypal, and he also cancelled the offer.

Now I can not log my time.

Please let me know what I can do now

Tien N wrote:

But this guy just told me to send payment via Paypal, and he also cancelled the offer.

At that point you should have told the client that you can not accept payment outside of the platform and walked away.

Tien N wrote:

Please let me know what I can do now

Upwork will contact you about it. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tien, 

The team will follow up with you and your client with more information about your account. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi,

Please let me know what should I do when a client offer me to pay directly?

Should I report him/her?

Tien N wrote:

Hi,

Please let me know what should I do when a client offer me to pay directly?

Should I report him/her?

Yes.

Many thanks guys,

This is my first offer so I'm just an amateur

Have to be careful at the next times, we have to follow Upwork terms

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Hello,

Prior to the start of every contract (before I hit the [Accept Job] button):

1. I schedule a video conference call with the prospective client.

2. I cover the rules for work, per Upwork.  Upwork only payments, if there might be a question.

3. As well as how the billing system function works, be it Fixed Fee, Rate x hours, Time tracker.

4. Explain to them my ratings are my most important business asset.  Closing a job down responsibility if of deep importance to me. And that I will most surely arrange for a project conclusion call by video, to ensure I have met requirements and desired outcomes.  The request ratings be exchanged following this formal wrap-up steps.

There is the counter strategy of "hush up after the work is done".  I'd rather drive a potentially good client off then risk picking up a client who cannot take the time out for a cordial, visual, project kick-off call.  Those who do enter the project informed and know what of positive nature to expect.

I have yet to lose a prospective client engaging these tactics.

John,.

Hi John,

Welcome to Upwork.  Maybe this works for you but I would think that for a lot of people this might come off as exceedingly tedious and I am not sure it makes good general advice.   The OP definitely should have brought up Upwork's non-circumvention rules when the prospective client brought up Paypal, but it kind of sounds like the OP didn't read the rules.  

You definitely have to be careful with this "The request ratings be exchanged following this formal wrap-up steps." as you don't want to be accused of soliciting feedback.

Have a good day!

The tactics have worked well for me across 78 projects over the course of seven years.  Of course I adapt them according to project size and client business circumstances.

The stats and position of usage of these tactics is this: never, have I had problems with nor been 'accused' of soliciting specific scores or comments -- provided in the ratings.  This violates ToS, which I adhere to.  I do request ratings be left using the exact techniques described.  The metrics indicate the quality of outcome: I have achieved ratings across (as an estimate) 95% of my projects.

The verbal tactics I use and recommend were refined across 25 years in corporate work, where similar situations exist.  Those conditions include preparation for personal reviews provided by clients to our corporate management staff, in respect to potential cash bonuses and advancement opportunities. Similarly, when I was in corporate management, I specifically counselled my Jrs to engage in these tactics, as I wanted to have the clients' "ratings" responses and as such, I heartily encouraged approved of my staff's efforts to ensure I got them.

I normally do not respond with personal information.  Since my record was physically questioned, it seems appropriate to define my experience base as it may impact the perception of my recommendation's veracity and validity.

I appreciate the re-welcome to Upwork!  One a year on my anniversary would be valued.  The next one will be on January 2nd, at 2am, in 2021 -- if calendaring is at hand.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

Hi John,

Welcome to Upwork.  Maybe this works for you but I would think that for a lot of people this might come off as exceedingly tedious and I am not sure it makes good general advice.   The OP definitely should have brought up Upwork's non-circumvention rules when the prospective client brought up Paypal, but it kind of sounds like the OP didn't read the rules.  

You definitely have to be careful with this "The request ratings be exchanged following this formal wrap-up steps." as you don't want to be accused of soliciting feedback.

Have a good day!

The FEATCON returneth...

Amanda L wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Hi John,

Have a good day!

The FEATCON returneth...

Was he sleeping? We need his wisdom and guidance, and just his overall guru-ness!

Martina P wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Hi John,

Have a good day!

The FEATCON returneth...

Was he sleeping? We need his wisdom and guidance, and just his overall guru-ness!

Been crazy busy.

Mark F wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Hi John,

Have a good day!

The FEATCON returneth...

Been crazy busy.

Yeah, well, if you hit Disney now, it won't be so busy. 😉 

Amanda L wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Hi John,

Have a good day!

The FEATCON returneth...

Been crazy busy.

Yeah, well, if you hit Disney now, it won't be so busy. 😉 

That would be incredible.  I could hit all my favorites as many times as I want and also recreate the Wally World scenes from the original vacation movie.

download.jpg

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths