cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be cautious new scam on Upwork

Vivian P Member Since: May 30, 2010
1 of 9

I was invited to interview, I should have noticed the first red flags but I thought it is Upwork, I have known people who do not pay to get past them, but I have never known them to allow scam jobs to be posted.

1st Red flag:  Job was offering very high salary

2nd Red flag:  Job was in USA but did not mind non- Americans doing accounting work

3rd Red flag:  They asked me to load yahoo messenger for the interview.

While talking the the woman, I became more and more suspicious.  Then she got to the crux, telling me I must by the software.

I instantly alerted Upwork.  They advised me that they suspended the account but the job still shows as active.  I am horrified.

Please be careful, you never pay anything to do geniune work.  I am so sad that I have to advise you of this on Upwork.

Maulik M Member Since: Jul 12, 2015
2 of 9

thanks for the alert Vivian.

Digital illustrator, animator, coffee lover. Cheers!
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 9

LOL.

thank you for the report, Vivian. I love reading these reports and I am very happy when contractors realize these things are scams BEFORE they become victims.

But the phrase "new scam" is almost never going to be accurate.

This scam is not new and it is not new to Upwork. This scam existed long before Upwork did.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
4 of 9

... and, while you "have never known them to allow scam jobs to be posted", rest assured that they are indeed posted with great frequency all the time.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 9

Hi Vivian,

I am glad you identified this as scam and reported it to the team. I have checked and the job posting has been removed already and the client's account closed.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
6 of 9

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Vivian,

I am glad you identified this as scam and reported it to the team. I have checked and the job posting has been removed already and the client's account closed.

Thank you!

Valeria,

Could you please explain what does "client's account closed" mean? Does it mean that the client account can no longer be accessed? Imagine I have the link of the job post that OP reported - if I click that link am I going to see a message saying that the account has been closed, for instance?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 9

Hi Olga,

If the job was cancelled but you still have a link to it, you can view it but it will say "This job is no longer available." The posting can't be accessed by other freelancers in search however. As for the actions we take against client's account, it depends on each individual case and that information is not visible to other users.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
8 of 9

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Olga,

If the job was cancelled but you still have a link to it, you can view it but it will say "This job is no longer available." The posting can't be accessed by other freelancers in search however. As for the actions we take against client's account, it depends on each individual case and that information is not visible to other users.

Ok, Valeria, thank you.

Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
9 of 9

Another scam that persists is the one where the client wants to hire a freelancer to sell items on eBay through the personal account of the freelancer. I have flagged the same scam 3 times, but I'm guessing they keep reposting. Ways to know it's a scam:

- They require that "You must be an e-Bay member with good feedback"

- 8000 USD budget (in the last two I found, at least)

- Look at the number of interviews. Even though the job post is well written and seems legit (apart from the two warning bells mentioned above), they seem to interview everyone who has applied. The latest one had 45 proposals and 40 ongoing interviews.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS