Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Being Harassed and Slandered by a former client

Highlighted
Community Leader
Sagar S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
11 of 24

"Life is not fair, Get used to it"-- Bill Gates

This is a common factor in all business. Just forget it and move forward. 

Wish you great success here in Upwork

Thanks

Sagar

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 24

Zac, I have no idea of the background here but this isn't the first of your clients who ended up in a rage, is it?

Don't get me wrong, I am not victim blaming by any means, but you may need to work on your client-management and conflict-resolution skills.

Obviously you could try to take legal steps, but frankly unless you are made of money I don't think it would be a cost-effective way to spend your time.

Your response to the feedback, by the way, is about 10 times more damaging than the feedback itself. If I were hiring I might overlook the feedback, your response would be what would stop me from hiring you with 100% certainty.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Zac G Member Since: Nov 27, 2016
13 of 24

@Melanie - I've disabled comments on my portfolio site (I honestly didn't even know it had that feature). As for my social media sites, I've put them all on that "Approval Only" setting, but thats incredibily annoying, I don't want to have to moderate my life like that

@Petra

If I have 4 bad contracts out of 120 I'm ok with those numbers. Petra, I respect your job history immensely but please respect that our fields are VERY different. I don't know a ton about translation but I'm assuming there's a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it, or at least the results of a job are fairly finite. The possibilities of a video/animation job are infinite, and incredibly subjective I could show one person a video I've done and they love it, and another would absolutely hate it. 

But let me throw this one at you, say you did a translation gig and sent 2 "Drafts" over to the client, and then they turn around after working with you through that revision process and saying, "Nevermind, I want this done in Spanish instead of French" - Do you charge for that or not? A ton of UW clients seems to think they shouldn't have to pay for things when they change there mind.

I've been preaching that the video / creative side of this site needs a massive overhaul since I started, the formula for jobs just has too many holes in it to abuse - and finally, when all there's a solid wall that actually protects a freelancer, the client goes off the rails and seems to run amuck

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 24

@Zac G wrote:

@Melanie - I've disabled comments on my portfolio site (I honestly didn't even know it had that feature). As for my social media sites, I've put them all on that "Approval Only" setting, but thats incredibily annoying, I don't want to have to moderate my life like that

@Petra

The possibilities of a video/animation job are infinite, and incredibly subjective I could show one person a video I've done and they love it, and another would absolutely hate it. 

I get that. All I was trying to say is that conflict resolution is something incredibly important and something you might want to work on before conflicts get so totally out of hand Smiley Happy And I still think calling a client a sc*mbag may not have been the wisest ever move Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: May 14, 2017
15 of 24

Zac, I agree this is harasment, but listen to Petra and don't respond in kind. This will hurt you.

Harasment is real. The only reason I'm "invisible" is because I've had a harasser follow me for a year on social media, email and even on the phone - and this person is on Upwork. Sometimes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
16 of 24

Each of the social media venues should have a process to handle harassment, so report the client through those channels. Also, provide screenshots of the harassment to Upwork and file a complaint.

You could also try a cease and desist, but if the client isn't in the same country as you it might not help. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
17 of 24

Zac, I don't know if you can change the answer to the client's feedback on your profile, but if you can, do it now! You're shooting yourself in the foot.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
18 of 24

I agree with Rene and Petra. The client's feedback looks bad enough on your profile without your unprofessional and rude response. That will certainly do more damage than the feedback on its own.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Zac G Member Since: Nov 27, 2016
19 of 24

I was able to change it, I wrote out a bulleted list of all of his concerns and how I fixed them all before the end of the contract, I also attached the finished video in the comment.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
20 of 24

This situation sucks, but I'm very confused about what type of help you think Upwork support could/should be. What do you think they should do? File an international lawsuit on your behalf? Appoint a CS rep to moderate your website and Facebook comments? 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS