Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being Harassed and Slandered by a former client

Highlighted
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
21 of 24

@Tiffany S wrote:

This situation sucks, but I'm very confused about what type of help you think Upwork support could/should be. What do you think they should do? File an international lawsuit on your behalf? Appoint a CS rep to moderate your website and Facebook comments? 

Honestly I think the OP just wanted it to stop and probably wasn't logically taking this forward to a conclusion (i.e. what, specifically, Upwork could have/should have done, and what it couldn't possibly have done). He seems like he's been really off the handle about this and probably was just reaching out and venting. JMO. I mean whether it was justified or not, that was one hell of a scathing review from the client, I think we can all agree. OP panicked.

I checked out your profile, OP...you do seem to attack back...who knows where it started and who cares, you remain professional. Period. You can defend your position FACTUALLY ("one error was discovered; I immediately rectified it") but as you now know, never use profanity and never attack middle-school style (like the "looney bin" and "sc*mb*g" comments). Just don't. I don't care what you think someone else "did to" you, this is your reputation and your professionalism on the line.

I think you just needed to cool down and I think probably so did/does this other person and I am sure it will all just fade away and be a bad memory. I truly doubt this will come to lawyers. Let it die and don't bother trying to communicate with this client anymore, even to change feedback in a positive way. Let him start forgetting this ever happened.

Just breathe. And think next time before acting and striking out. Think hard. You said it yourself: only four "bad" projects out of over 100...let prospective clients judge that for themselves. 

Highlighted
Michael P Member Since: Jan 1, 2018
22 of 24

Hey,

One action that can be taken is a defimation lawsuit.  Going to someones employeer and saying untrue things is something that is illegal and not something the courts are going to accept.  The issue is always showing significant losses in these cases.  Loosing ones job, for instance, can make this a very expensive problem for the one doing the harassment.  I don't know if it is within Upworks 

I find terrible customers every once in awhile that will do anything to try and not pay.  Even if its just a $1.  They will try to ruin your reputation and will attack you in any way they think they can get away with more money.  This is not acceptable behavior.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
23 of 24

Michael P wrote:

Hey,

One action that can be taken is a defimation lawsuit. 

The thread was from January last year and the OP has long since closed his Upwork account.

It is also incredibly expensive (and mostly futile) to try and sue someone on the other side of the world,

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
24 of 24

Petra R wrote:

The thread was from January last year and the OP has long since closed his Upwork account.

Wonder why the forum doesn't have a function to close threads automatically after 1 year of inactivity. Just incredible!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS