🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Being Scammed ? Need help from Upwork sta...
Page options
nicholasau08
Community Member

Being Scammed ? Need help from Upwork staff.

Hi !

I had a job that requires me to record my voice reading set paragraphs using a system they have created. The job is due in 2 days and I have done it within the time limit. I was told by the client that he and his team will have to check if all the audio files were done correctly and will take a week for the checking. After one week, I was told that I’ve done it in the wrong way and they have deleted all the files I have recorded for them (which were uploaded to a cloud storage) and asked me to redo it all over.

Luckily I was able to recovered the files in the cloud storage and have a check which I believe everything is done within the provided guidelines and instructions. At first, he refused and keep telling me to redo it without any reasons. I refused and told him that I cannot redo it without clear reason stating which part I’ve done wrongly. I told them to check it once again with the files and proved them that I did it in the way he required. He then told me that he will check with his team and get back to me once the checking is done. I have messaged the client and ask him on the progress but he just constantly saying he will check it with his team and he didn’t even reply me the last time I messaged him.

I am disappointed as this is my first job on Upwork. I felt like I was being scammed… Hope Upwork staff can help me to resolve this issue. Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Nicholas A wrote:

Hi !

I had a job that requires me to record my voice reading set paragraphs using a system they have created. The job is due in 2 days and I have done it within the time limit. I was told by the client that he and his team will have to check if all the audio files were done correctly and will take a week for the checking. After one week, I was told that I’ve done it in the wrong way and they have deleted all the files I have recorded for them (which were uploaded to a cloud storage) and asked me to redo it all over.

Luckily I was able to recovered the files in the cloud storage and have a check which I believe everything is done within the provided guidelines and instructions. At first, he refused and keep telling me to redo it without any reasons. I refused and told him that I cannot redo it without clear reason stating which part I’ve done wrongly. I told them to check it once again with the files and proved them that I did it in the way he required. He then told me that he will check with his team and get back to me once the checking is done. I have messaged the client and ask him on the progress but he just constantly saying he will check it with his team and he didn’t even reply me the last time I messaged him.

I am disappointed as this is my first job on Upwork. I felt like I was being scammed… Hope Upwork staff can help me to resolve this issue. Thank you.

Hard to say if you are being scammed or not. 

You will have to resolve this with your client, there is nothing upwork can do here, and they don't interfere in the client/freelancer relationship. 

petra_r
Community Member

If fixed rate:

Did you properly submit the work through a funded milestone? (Clicked the green "Submit work for payment" button?

Was the agreed price funded?

If hourly:

Did you track your time?

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nicholas,

I'm sorry about the issue that arose on your contract. I've checked your contract and do see Escrow is funded on your active contract. I see you've already followed the recommended approach of discussing the job deliverables directly with the other party.

In case a solution can't be agreed amicably, please check the Fixed-Price Payment Protection program Petra referenced in her post and consider selecting one of the available options, depending on your preference and decision. Whichever approach you decide on, let us know if you need clarification and we'll gladly follow up.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi Vladimir,

I just got a reply from the client 2 days after one final message to him and he reject to pay me because he said the task wasn't completed successfully and asked me to redo it. However, I've kept all the files for the project and have proof that I have done everything in the way the instructions require. In this case, I would like to dispute with the client and would like to ask your help in following up. Thank you.

Best,

Nicholas

Hi Nicholas,

I checked the contract and it seems that it was already canceled. As the funds were in Escrow, you have been asked to approve or dispute the refund request. If you approve it, the client will be refunded. If you don't, a dispute will be filled. Please go to the contract page and you should see a link regarding the escrow request. On that page, you can either approve or dispute the refund. For more information on disputes, you can check out this help article.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members