🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Being asked for payment for tasks after they ...
Page options
a9526fd8
Community Member

Being asked for payment for tasks after they are released

Hi all 

I would like to query something, I am new to freelancing and took on 2 projects. I just want to know are employers allowed to make contact outside of Upwork to give projects and then pay after. Should this not be done via the Upwork platform? 

When completed they ask you to pay to have the funds released for payment. I don't understand how an employee for the moment doing the job is request to pay to have funds released. 

Anyone having this problem?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
luce-neidert
Community Member

These are scams. Clients are not allowed to make contact outside of Upwork and they are not allowed to propose to pay outside of Upwork.

Only start working when they have sent you a contract through Upwork.

You

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
luce-neidert
Community Member

These are scams. Clients are not allowed to make contact outside of Upwork and they are not allowed to propose to pay outside of Upwork.

Only start working when they have sent you a contract through Upwork.

You

Thank you Luce.

I have learned something today. I worked tirelessly for free and under pressure to complete the tasks. 

I will no longer be accepting work this way. 

Time wasted, if you ask me. Thank you for the feedback. 

Hi, Haldane,

So sorry that you are learning the hard way about scammers on Upwork! My advise to you, when you are looking for a job, is to look for jobs offers where at the bottom you see green stars. This is a quick way to see whether these people have hired and paid at least one freelancer.

Once you'll be more experimented, you can try working with people that have never hired anyone before, but until then beware of scammers, they love to scam newcomers.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Haldane,

There is NO situation in which you should pay any fee of any kind to any client. If you need to make a payment to a client after a contract is in place, there is NO situation in which that payment should be made through any channel other than Upwork's system.

There are NO exceptions to the above. Any client who tells you otherwise is hoping to rip you off at some point.

125a27a9
Community Member

Someone told me that i have to pay a refundable linking fee of $200

Before you lose all your money, read this post and follow every link. You don't know how freelancing works, or the platform. The someone you spoke to was a scammer. Scammers are the only people who will talk to you with your current profile. I don't know what you think you are selling for $300.00 dollars an hour, but it isn't going to happen here.

Your photo tells the scammers all they need to know.

fe9b8d82
Community Member

Think through this logically - you walk into any physical business to apply for a job.  You are offered employment on the condition that you pay them $X so they can....whatever.

I hope you'd laugh and walk away.  Online is no different.  There is no reason you would ever pay a potential client for an employment opportunity.  

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members