cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being harassed by a client (formerly : Client want to cancel after all the requirements...)

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 27

He can pay the 50% as a bonus

@Mario C wrote:

He have already  submitted  a request  for cancellation. 

Mario, does your client know that he will not own, and can not use whatever you did for him if you agree to his cancellation request? Oh and if he did the request to have funds returned he HAS ended the contract, hasn't he? Which means he HAS left feedback?

mario-chirinos
Community Guru
Mario C Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
12 of 27

I guess he dont know it,  but it does not matter he have the project and i dont have a way to enforce of him not using  my work. 

I am not sure how the cancellation  works.  Have he leave a feedback? 

petra_r
Community Guru
13 of 27

Mario, would you double check for me whether the contract is active or ended, I think I know the answer but it's early and I'm hungover. I will get a coffee and wait for your response.

mario-chirinos
Community Guru
14 of 27

@Petra R wrote:

Mario, would you double check for me whether the contract is active or ended, I think I know the answer but it's early and I'm hungover. I will get a coffee and wait for your response.

The contract have ended he is asking  for a refund.

petra_r
Community Guru
15 of 27

OK.

Mario if your client genuinly wants to pay you half and both of you agree that this is fair then you can advise him to pay the 200 as a bonus.

You can play it smart: Be really nice and friendly, and explain to him that as "we agreed on 50% payment, I'd suggest that you pay this as a bonus which you may do by going to Contracts, Actions and choosing "Make a payment" as per this screenshot http://prntscr.com/8csdgt . I will then approve the return of the funds from Escrow."

Essentially if you dispute it it will drawn out, and you will probably end up with the 50% payment that you and the client agreed if you agreed on that. HOWEVER, you'd have to prove it, and that might land you in a "feedback manipulation" situation where both the client and you get into hot water as it is a policy violation to trade feedback for refunds.

it doesn't really make sense to go to dispute over $ 200 (which is the most you could get) as, if both sides dig their heels in and it goes to arbitration,  it would cost you (and the client and Upwork)  $ 200 EACH to go to arbitration.

• If you ignore the request for refund to Escrow the client automatically gets the money back after 7 days, your JSS takes a hit. Contract will vanish from history.
  • If you approve the request for refund and the client pays 200 as a bonus the job will show as no feedback given, your JSS takes a hit, and you can tell the client they may use the work even though full payment has not been made so theoretically you still own it
  • If you approve the request for refund and the client pays nothing you've worked for free, the job will not show on your profile, your JSS takes a hit, and you can tell the client they may NOT use the work because full payment has not been made so you still own it.
  • If you reject the request it goes to dispute. I'd not let that happen if I were you, try and avoid it, talk to the client, find an amicable solution!
mario-chirinos
Community Guru
16 of 27

Thanks to all for your advice , after conciddering all your opinions I have filed a dispute. 
I will let you know how this issue evolve. 

Regards to all .

Mario

jolash
Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
17 of 27

Mario ,

If you are really sure that you delivered the job according to specifications , then I have just two words of advice with respect to the offer of 200 USD - No deal.

Having said that it might be good to look up the client's history and feedback for other contractors.

Did you talk to CS when you started feeling uncomfortable about his position ?

I would only advice filing  a dispute as a last resort.

Also was it fixed contract with milestones created ? If yes , he should not have waited until the end before disputing the job. Along the way he should have known if you were a good fit or  if he would rather work with someone else.

Do let's know how it pans out.

mario-chirinos
Community Guru
18 of 27

@Oreofe J
It was a fixed price job. I did contact cutomer suppor before this, when I started to feel unconfortable, I ask them why all his job hitory is private, the answerme that is becuse is a Elance client.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
19 of 27

@Mario C wrote:

I have a client with whom i started a contact  with this monday with a deadline for monday 7.  

I just deliver tonight  the final  version of the project after two rounds of corrections  from the client. 

The client  is unhappy because  of the corrections he had to point out for me to fix.  

He offerme just 50% of the amount agreed,  leave  no feedback and hire me for a new project,   with no options left i agree  to his terms. 

When he tryed to close the contract he realize that the new system  rules don't  allow him to leave no feedback  so he now wants to cancel the contract so i wont be paid. 

What sould i do?  Should i agree to cancel the contract  and give him back the escrow or open a dispute?  The project is complete  with all the changes he requested. 

This is awful. WAT is wrong with people who think some back and forth is bad? In a real job, employees are given months to catch up, and we're given a project and have to catch up within days or clients think we suck. Jeez.

I wouldn't give him his money unless I felt like I did something wrong.  

mario-chirinos
Community Guru
20 of 27

minutes after filing the dispute, it seems like some one registered me to a lot of spam lists because I am receiving a lots of spam mail like one per minute, first time this happen to me.

Coincidence?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS