iaabraham

Being penalized for a client's mistake

Hi community members/moderators,

I recently finished a job for a client, and the work spanned over the course of 2 weeks. Now after the work was completed successfully, the client ended the contract, without seeing the bill for the 2nd week of work.

He thought the oDesk system made an error, and only charged him half of what I was owed, so he sent me a bonus payment saying "System had a mistake. I was not charged enough for your services."

Now I've just explained to him that the system did not make a mistake; he will be charged for the 2nd week on Monday (tomorrow). When he realizes this, I am obviously going to have to issue him a refund for the bonus payment. However, since refunds count against a freelancer's profile, what should I do? I don't want to be penalized because a client made a mistake!

I haven't contacted support yet because they've been delayed in responding due to so many other requests. Just wanted to get feedback from the community first - has this happened to anyone else?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kugrin

Isabelle, your client should contact support, they can reverse the transaction. This way the 10% fee won't be lost and nothing will be held against you. This happened to me once before and after my client contacted support, they reversed it in real time.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
kugrin

Isabelle, your client should contact support, they can reverse the transaction. This way the 10% fee won't be lost and nothing will be held against you. This happened to me once before and after my client contacted support, they reversed it in real time.

Thanks so much Krisztina! I'll tell them to contact support and reverse it. Even though though he was trying to be honest, this shouldn't be my problem or stress. You wouldn't happen to have a link, would you? No surprises that I can't find any how-to under "Help and Support".

As fas as I know, only complete refunds are counted "against" a freelancer. A client of mine sent me a double payment by mistake, and she didn't know how to reverse the transaction. I took care of it, sending her money back. I think you shouldn't worry too much about that, it's not your fault at all Smiley Very Happy

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Thanks Mattia! I agree that a refund shouldn't count against my profile, but seeing as the system can't tell that it's not my fault, I'm not very willing to take the chance 🙂

The last thing I need right now is for my account to go under review... and I'm seeing way too many freelancer complaints of reviews and suspensions.

Hi Isabelle - I don't have a link other than the generic link to support. That's what I would send to the client. I think my client contacted them by phone or chat, I know it wasn't a ticket or else they wouldnt've done it in real time.

I personally believe we should completely ignore the mad robots and carry out our business as usual. Maybe I am naive because I didn't make some of the experiences others have made (yet.. knocking on wood), but I just trust that high quality work speaks for itself and that oDesk can tell. All that said, I still wouldn't do a refund. Not because I'd be worried to get penalized by oDesk, but because I think the cleaner solution is for your client to get the transaction reversed. I'd reserve refunds for cases where I literally want to give my client a refund. 

tgstudio

Isabelle, the same thing happened to me. I had the client contact support and it was cleared up quickly.