🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Beneficiary mismatch is it possible to set up...
Page options
cariaga
Community Member

Beneficiary mismatch is it possible to set up with a different name?

i wanted to send money to a relative rather than under my name is it possible?

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "i wanted to send money to a relative rather than under my name is it possible?"

Yes.

You can withdraw Upwork earnings to the account of a relative if you have your relative add you as a full, named beneficiary to the financial account, using your legal name (the same name you use for your Upwork freelancer account).

If you do that, then you can easily withdraw funds to that account.

i don't have to rename my upwork account? is this correct?

petra_r
Community Member

Aivann C wrote:

i don't have to rename my upwork account? is this correct?

You must NOT try to withdraw to a relative's account unless you are an official co-owner and signatory for that bank account.

Trying to add an account that you are not an official co-owner and signatory to and then trying to change your (!) Upwork account name to that of your relative would likely see your account suspended.

Just to be clear: The answer to your original question is: No, you can't unless the account is in joint names, not only in your relative's name.

re: "I don't have to rename my Upwork account? Is this correct?"

You are correct that you do not have to rename your Upwork account.

I'm just here to support what Petra already told you.

You're not allowed to rename your Upwork.

Your Upwork account must use your legal name.

That is the name on your government-issued ID such as birth certificate, driver's license, passport. And that is the name on your payment withdrawal account, such as your bank account or PayPal account, etc.

You CAN use your relative's account. AFTER your relative adds you to the account as full-beneficiary (co-owner) of the account. Technically you may even have completely co-equal privileges on the account as your relative. But you may both still think of it as your "relative's acount." If you withdraw money to that account, you WILL be sending your money to your relative, or your relative's account, which was what your original question was about.

Preston H wrote:

You CAN use your relative's account. AFTER your relative adds you to the account as full-beneficiary (co-owner) of the account. 

Preston, the problem is that your original response was phrased in such a way that the OP clearly only read "Yes" and "you can do that"... 

Because the idea of some relative just turning their bank account into a joint bank account for a withdrawal probably seems a somewhat weird idea to most people.

I completely understand why you prefer to answer this question using "no" as the key answer.

I think that the most complete and accurate answer to this question is "yes," with an explanation of how to do it.

Is it a weird idea?

Maybe it is "weird" or "normal" depending on who the relative is, and depending on the culture. It is normal for married couples to have joint bank accounts, normal for young people to have joint bank accounts with ther parents (especially when they are minors or college students), and normal for business partners to have joint bank accounts.

But certainly there are types of relatives with whom sharing a joint bank account IS unusual. And transforming an existing account into a joint account purely for the purpose of sending money directly to them is probably unusual. But that is a straightforward way to achieve the original poster's goal.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members