🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » requesting a manual name review
Page options
sandee_miranda
Community Member

Beneficiary name is mismatched

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used my nickname when I created this account.

But I have already edited my details to replace my nickname with my full name here in upwork. Any chance you could have my payment method activated already?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,078 REPLIES 3,078

Hi, I am facing a similar problem. I also get the message of the name mismatch. My name on the bank account includes my PhD title, while in Upwork I don't have it. Can you please check this?

Thanks in advance,

Ulrike

Hi Ulrike, 

The name mismatch on your account has already been cleared. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi there! I have been with upwork for around a year now and have used the same payment method since the start. I am currently active on a project and tried to "Get Paid" the other day and suddenly it says my name on my payment method does not match the name on the upwork account. The only difference between the 2 are one has my middle initial and suffix (I am the third - III). I tried deleting and re adding it as well as my bank account the other day (Jan. 14-15th). I still cannot get paid for the work that I have completed. Please advise what I can do as it has been 3 or more days at this point.

Thank you,
George J.

Hi George,

This should now be fixed. You may log in to check. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
touchpt
Community Member

Thank you so much! It is fixed!

nathripon_deb_0-1642576716738.png

I am getting this error, please help me ASAP.

Hi Ripon,

Your payment method is now updated, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Gora! I have a problem, I hope you can help me. I added a new payment method but I have a problem, "The beneficiary name is mismatched". this is because in my account my I have my full name, but in Upwork just have my first and last name.  what can I do to solve this? 

Hi Eliezer,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Goran,

My issue with my name seem to have been resolved but I went in today and I may done something where the system thought I was adding my bank acount again. I didn't change my bank account but now it says mismatched name again. Apologies!  Can my account be verified again.  My legal name is Ly Huong Thi Nguyen but it's not my professional name I go and all my accounts are as Ly Nguyen. My original name is too hard for anyone to pronounce. Hope the team can make the update again and verify my bank account. Screen Shot here.  Thanks!  

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ly,

Your beneficiary name has been approved.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Sandee,

I am currently having the same issue with my name being missmatched. I didn't have this issue previously.

I have tried to set up my bank account and paypal and both say my name doesn't match. This could be an issue with the dash in the middle of my last name but it has since been fixed on my profile.

Let me know if this can be fixed.

Thank you

Candyse Della-Ricca

Sorry, I meant to Direct this message to Goran V.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Candyse, 

It's always best to post your concern in the Upwork Community so that the available moderators at the time of your posting can assist you promptly. 

I checked your account, and I can confirm that this is working by design. Please allow the team 48-hours to review the name mismatch. If there's an issue, they will reach out to you through a ticket with more information. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi Goran,

I'm having the same problem. I was emailed by Upwork customer support 6 days ago saying that my name was under review, and that I would need to wait up to 3 days for the result. Obviously those 3 days have long passed, but I haven't heard anything. Are you able to help me?

Thanks,

Jack

Hi Jack,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your concern with the team handling your case and your name mismatch is now approved. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

I am having a similar issue and have posted about this. The name on my government issued ID does not match the account name because on the government issued ID, my legal name was abbreviated since it was too long to fit. Can someone help me with this please?

Hello,

I have a problem with the verified name Upwork has for me not matching the name on my payment account. This is an issue because on my driver's license, they could not fit my whole name and so abbreviated my name to "M" since my full first name is "Maria Diorella" with middle initial "V" and I normally go by "Diorella". Can someone please help me with this, preferably someone from Upwork customer service? It is extremely frustrating that they don't have a number I can call to directly resolve this.

Hi Diorella,

In general, the name on the payment method needs to match the verified name on file. I see you have reached out to our support team for assistance with that and they will update you as soon as possible.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hello! I wanted to add a payment method. However, my Paypal account name is written in Cyrillic and approved by Paypal, so I cannot use latin names. On the other hand, Upwork does not recognize Cyrillic names, so I simply cannot make the account name in Paypal and Upwork the same. What should I do to solve this problem? Please help!

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Artur,

Please allow up to 72 hours for the review on your new payment method to be completed. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi! Can you help me? 

I set up for Direct Bank payment method but I cannot get my earnings. This is what appears.

Payment method verification in progress

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.
Please visit our FAQ page for additional information

I visited the FAQ page and no solution was given. It only said someone will reach out but nobody did. My bank account name is the same as my name here on Upwork, yet it said it did not match. Why? 

Hi Krizza,

Please allow 48 hours for the name mismatch on your account to be reviewed.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hello Goran,

i have change my bank details and  it has been week but stll it show Payment method verification in progress. 

Hi Vaibhav,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your concern with our team and your name mismatch is now approved. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hello.

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because my name is Tuğçe but there are no the letter ''ğ'' and ''ç'' in english. However my name in upwork account is Tugce Macit. How can i fix this?

Hi Tuğçe,

Thanks for reaching out. Please, allow up to 48 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
broosbakens
Community Member

Hi!

I've just accepted a freelance offer and created my profile. I've used my business bank account which results in a name mismatch for which I need to request a manual review. Could you please review my details? Please let me know if you need more information.

Also, the support pages do not link towards a form for this resulting in this public forum post. Would be benifical for all if you could request a manual review with a single button next to the warning and fill in the specific details needed for the review. Would be awesome for future Upworkers if you could change this.

Thanks!
Broos

Hi Broos,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your verification. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I have a similar situation and need manual review. Thanks!

Hi Aaron,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket and assist you further with your name change request. Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Mine is still not reviewed so I hope this can be done shortly....

If you could look into that, that would be appreciated...

Hi Broos,

I apologize for the delay in receiving an update. I'll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect one of our agents to reach out to you directly via support ticket as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork

I need a manual name review to use a business account. The link took me to Upwork community help. How can I initiate a manual name review?

Hi Timothy,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your request. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Please review my name mismatch issue between Bank account and upwork profile, and Approve. Please contact me for any questions. Regards Anantha

Hi Anantha,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your payment method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you Goran.

7a6da846
Community Member

Hi. I'm new to Upwork. I recently added a payment method (direct to bank) and I received a message stating that the payment method has been deactivated and that a review is underway.

I'm confused. The thing is I my name is Kauser Fatima Taher, but on my bank account, it appears as Kauser Fatima.  Also, the account is jointly held but I am one of the beneficiaries. What do you suggest I do?

Hi Kauser,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your payment method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths