🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Name Spelling Change
Page options
sandee_miranda
Community Member

Beneficiary name is mismatched

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used my nickname when I created this account.

But I have already edited my details to replace my nickname with my full name here in upwork. Any chance you could have my payment method activated already?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,078 REPLIES 3,078

Thank you for reaching out to us, Ruthie.

I've escalated your account information to our support team. One of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with your request.

~ Bojan
Upwork
alex_fieraru
Community Member

PLease verify my payment method i am the account owner

Thank you for reaching out to us, Alex.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with your concern. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
horribility
Community Member

Hi, I just made my first money on upwork, and I've filled in my bank details but it was declined on the grounds that there was a name mismatch. I do understand where this is coming from. I bear Nedu Emmanuel on my profile while my banking detail bears Chukwunedu Emmanuel Nwachukwu. The fact is that Nedu was derived out of the last four letters in my first name - ChukwuNEDU. What can I do ?

Hi Nedu,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

What can you do?

The simplest, safest way to use Upwork is to use your actual legal name on your bank account, AND on your Upwork profile.

But you typically do not need to use your middle name.

Use your real legal first and last name. Not derivations thereof.

That way you can avoid the software declaring a mismatch, both when it comes to payment withdrawal, and also identity verification.

73d03a74
Community Member

Hello! I mismatched my bank account name. Plase change it with my current upwork account name.

Thank you!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Cristian,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your concern. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
271f47e6
Community Member

Hi Good day!

I'm hoping all is well with you.

I would like to kindly ask how to change the profile name, I accidentally input my nickname instead. I would like to change to my first name. How can I do that. 

Thank you so much in advance for the help.

Regards,

Pau

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Pau,

You can update your name by going to Settings and using the edit button. If your name variation is not acceptable, our agent will advise you directly about mismatch on your documents and suggest editing your Upwork profile name to match your legal name. 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
77d6e7db
Community Member

Hi there - I am new on upworks - I have received my first contract & supposed to start my work from tomorrow 13th May - Now there is a missmatch in my Upwork name's spelling with my Bank account's name - My Upwork profile name - Payel Dutta where as My bank account's name Payeal Dutte - I have edited my upwork name's spelling but it's under 48hours review - please fix it asap - as I will start my new project from tomorrow ?!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Payel,

Please allow time for your name change request to be reviewed. If our team needs any additional information, our agent will reach out to you directly.

Thank you for your patience. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
bebe73aa
Community Member

Hi there, 

My payment was rejected as the Upwork account name mismatched with the bank account name. However, it needs a review, as the name is the same but I do not use my last name officially. And there was no option to leave it blank here in Upwork settings. 

Upwork account name: Sourav Ravish
Bank account name: Sourav

Also, since the payment was rejected, and withdrawal fees have already been charged by Upwork, I hope I ll not be charged again for the same payment when it is fixed, as this was not a fault of mine. 

Please let me know. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sourav,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your concern. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
rudytre
Community Member

When I registered, I used my nickname/middle name (Rudy) but when I input my bank information it was flagged because my bank account is under my legal name (Francisco). Could someone please advise? 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ruby,

You can update your name by going to Settings and using the edit button. If your name variation is not acceptable, our agent will advise you directly about mismatch on your documents and suggest editing your Upwork profile name to match your legal name. 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
rudytre
Community Member

I am also having the same issue. Please advise.
babarfaizan
Community Member

I have the same issue and need to have my bank account name manually reviewed, please advise

Hi Faizan,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your request. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
chosalla
Community Member

Hey!

Does anyone have suggestions what I should do when my name on my Credit Card is different than the name I go by at Upwork? I can't receive pay because my status has a mismatch.

Thank you!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Salla.

I've escalated your account information to our support team. One of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with your name mismatch. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
edsimpson_101
Community Member

I just tried to add a payment method and was told that my "verified" name doesn't match my bank account's. I need help in figuring out what's going on. How do I find out what my verified name is, not my profile name? My profile name is a nickname. Please help. Thanks.

Thank you for reaching out to us, Ed.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with your concern.

~ Bojan
Upwork
shuttlesworthneo
Community Member

Hi,
I'm an individual proprietor in working in India. Recently, I added a local bank account as a payment method to the platform, where it says that there's a mismatch in the name of the beneficiary. Since it is a current bank account, it has been registered under my trade name (**Edited for community guidelines**). The trade name does not match with the name on my profile. Can you help me to resolve the conflict and enable the withdrawal of payments on my UpWork account?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Puneet,

~ Bojan
Upwork
bd7e446d
Community Member

Hi, I get this mail from upwork please help me. "The name "Arman" on your payment account "bank......I ending in 8823" has been manually reviewed by our staff and did not meet the criteria for compliance. Please visit our FAQ page for additional information. If you have not already completed ID verification, you can request approval for your beneficiary name through the ID verification process. Learn more about ID Verification." How can i verified my account ? I use username Tim Jefreey. But my real name Arman Kara. Please help me Thanks

Hi Tim,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
herreraairam
Community Member

Hi! i just got my 1st project. im trying to add my withdrawal method, but system is not allowing me becase of name mismatch. My bank account is under my maiden name, and I am now using my married name which was already verified. please help

Hi Maria,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your payment method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
cmason88
Community Member

I received an email message from Upwork that my bank account information didn't match my name (because I'm using my LLC company bank account). The message asked me to provide additional documentation regarding ownership of the bank account (e.g., my articles of incorporation), but when I followed the process using the link in the email, the only document it would let me upload was my drivers license. I've already provided the drivers license and have gone through the verification process. I need someone to help me successfully upload the documentation to show the bank account is mine.  Thank you.

epps_jamireal
Community Member

I'm having the same problem. I'm using my business bank account and need to get it verified.

Hi Chris and Jamireal,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I've escalated your account information to our support team. One of our agents will reach out to you directly via support tickets to assist you with your concerns. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
albondad
Community Member

Here's my issue, ever since Upwork updated how they handled payment, I havent been able to recieve my earnings for a while, due to the error 'The beneficiary name is mismatched.' At first I tried removing my payment mothods and reconnecting my debit card and direct deposit, but it still wouldn't allow me to do anything. Next, I directly reached out, and they said to wait for manual review. After a while, I reached out again and I was asked to send an ID and a banking statement, which I did, and later recieved an Upwork notification that my identification has been verified, but I still couldn't withdraw my earnings.

I went in depth to check the name my bank account is registered under and compared it to my Upwork name and saw that the only difference between my Upwork name and bank name is my middle name, and there is no option in Upwork for me to add my middle name.

Is there anyone I can directly contact to help resolve this issue?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Al,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your request. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Juan, 

We're sorry for missing to respond to your post. I checked your account and can see that a member of the team has reached out to you already through an email support ticket. 

If you need further help with anything, please don't hesitate to reach out and our team will assist you. 

~ Avery
Upwork
thezeebaseinfo
Community Member

I have the same problem, please guide me

Thank you for reaching out to us, Ram.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with your request. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
4caae294
Community Member

Put in my bank details and changed my name on upwork to match (I had my middle name on upwork too) and it says it's a mismatch, can I have a ticket please?

Hi Ali,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your payment method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
muhammadhaseeb23
Community Member

Hey Experts,

a few days ago I ask the community to review my profile and if they have any suggestions, let me know.

Some of them pointed out the problem that the names of the certificates don't match my profile name. my profile name is "Muhammad Haseeb" and my name on the certificate was "Haseeb ayub". This is because my full (Govt Id card) name is "Hafiz Muhammad Haseeb Ayub".

"Hafiz" is the honorary title. "Muhammad Haseeb" is my name. "Ayub" is the cast. (This is normal here in my country.) that why I used "Muhammad Haseeb" instead of my long name.

But someone reported my account before I removing (and recorrecting) my certificates. and my account is suspended without any client. (Heartbreaking!!!) 

I asked the website where I earn those certificates, They said they will correct the names and resend it.

BUT WHAT WOULD HAPPEN? I"VE SENT MY ID CARD COPY BUT WOULD I BE ABLE TO USE MY ACCOUNT? 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths