🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Married name and born name
Page options
sandee_miranda
Community Member

Beneficiary name is mismatched

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used my nickname when I created this account.

But I have already edited my details to replace my nickname with my full name here in upwork. Any chance you could have my payment method activated already?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,078 REPLIES 3,078
rotonmds
Community Member

Name mismatch my Account name with Bank name( Upwork Account Name with my NID Name: Md Rahidul Islam, But My Bank account Name is Md Rohidul Islam) Is it any problem for withdraw?

Hi Md Rahidul,

I checked and it doesn't look like there are any holds on your payment method currently. Generally, common variation of a name is allowed and shouldn't cause any issues. The team will notify you if there are any issues, however. Check out this help article for more information

~ Valeria
Upwork
neeraj8734
Community Member

Hello

Im unable to change my name as my name is Neeraj (Same in bank account) but upwork need my last name as mandatory (currently my name is neeraj singh in upwork). I tried to change as Mr Neeraj but still getting error message "Profile name change was denied"

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Neeraj.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with this concern. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
kelvinyeo
Community Member

I would like to request for name verification for my bank account.

Since I am from Malaysia and the first/last name will be rearranged as last/first name for all identity purposes here, including my banking.

And I have added a joint account name by which there are my name as well as my dad.

Please help to manual review and approve it. Let me know if there is any issue.

Hi Kelvin,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
bfelan
Community Member

Hello - I have the same problem with the name on my bank account not matching my drivers licence. I am in the process of updating my name due to a divorce. Please have someone contant me to get a manual review of my account. Thank you.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Brandy,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your request.

Thank you for reaching out to us.

~ Bojan
Upwork
afamuefuna-simon
Community Member

I have a mismatch account holder issue, I do not have a bank account number and I used my brothers account details, currently we are on Lockdown and I can not open an account now, Please help me resolve this issue

Hi Afamuefuna,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
annesophiep
Community Member

Hi I got married last year and I have different IDs with different names. That causes an issue to get paid on upwork, it says my names don't match.

My name on upwork is my married name, but my bank account is my born name and I cannot change it.

I send my passport for name verification on upwork and it has both my married and born name on it. But still I cant get paid for that issue (because bank account does not have my married name). Please help it is really time consuming and frustrating!

Hi Anne-Sophie,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your concern. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
lukamiilivojevic
Community Member

Hello, I have a problem
My name on PayPal differs from my Upwork name because my name on the ID card is Luka Milivojević and on Upwork I set my name to Luka Milivojevic. Now I have problems connecting PayPal to Upwork. I changed my name on Upwork to be Luka Milivojević but I don't know if it will cause me any problems.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi Luka,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your concern.

~ Bojan
Upwork
jimmilikan
Community Member

When i add a paypal to my account, it says: "Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account."

**Edited for community guidelines**

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi George,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with this concern. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
kassienina
Community Member

I cannot withdraw my funds because the name on my account does not match the on on my bank. Sure, i have requested for a name change severally but it has been denied. I am wondering why this is happening as other people have easily changed their names. I am also concerned because it is being denied an yet it is the name on the ID that upwork verified.

Hi Nina,

One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
371cf047
Community Member

Hi! I recently just finished a job and I know I seem quite silly for missing this but my legal name was not my profile name and I just set up my bank account information. Afterwards I realized it was flagged because they don't match. I just want to contact someone to verify my real name and bank account information to provide any identification necessary to continue on wth my account.

Thanks, Sarah Scott 

Hi Sarah,

I checked your account, and it looks like your name change request has already been approved. Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
0a3fb423
Community Member

I just updated my bank account information and got notified that the name on the bank is different than my upwork account. It's a business account and I am not sure how I could handle that. I couldn't find any other ways to seek help except for posting my message here with my private concerns disclosed to others. 

Hi Jottyz,

I’ve shared your concern with the team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
marcowillington
Community Member

Hello,

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used a nickname when I created this account.

But I have already edited my details which are approved by upwork. Can you assist me with this?

Thank you!

Hi Marco,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
kumaravinash7
Community Member

Hello,

I have been trying to add my bank account to withdraw the earnings however, I have a different name on my Bank Account.

How to resolve this issue.

Kindly Suggest.

Hi Avinash,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank you so much.
Looking forward to hearing from your team soon.
abdullah-sabbah
Community Member

Hello!
I connect my account with my local bank in Egypt successfully. but I received a message later that your payment account name doesn't match your name on up work!
it's the same name but my bank use only 3 names and my family name was the fourth name, I edit it and change my name but it's days now and still pending!!

Hi Abdullah,

I’ve shared your concern with the team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
thee_writerz
Community Member

I am really sorry, But I did a mistake while creating an account, I created a freelancer account on my agency name, I was not knowing you must use your real name, Now I received first contract payment, And today i got to know you must have to use your own name, I requested a name change but not sure it will get accepted 🙁🙁, help 😭😭

Hi there,

It looks like your name change request was approved just recently. Could you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser to check if it will show as updated on your end? Let us know if the issue persists. Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
btg131
Community Member

I get the same message:

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.

My Upwork account is under my trading name which is registered to my company name.

Where do I send documentation?

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
asifaqeel
Community Member

Hello!

I have used my nickname on Upwork but in my bank details I have different so I went to my contact info and I requested to change my name but I didn't get any response. What can I do? How can I change my name on Upwork?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Asif,

You can update your name by going to Settings and using the edit button. If your name variation is not acceptable, our agent will advise you directly about the mismatch on your documents and will suggest editing your Upwork profile name to match your legal name.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
tzena_l
Community Member

Hello! I need to have an agent do a review of my bank account name as I didn't set up my profile with my full name that is on my bank account. My first name is hyphenated and I don't use the second part so it's not a match in the system. Thanks!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tzena,

We would suggest editing your Upwork profile name to match your legal name. You can update your name by going to Settings and using the edit button. If your name variation is not acceptable, our agent will advise you directly about the mismatch on your documents and will suggest editing your Upwork profile name to match your legal name.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
c385f6ee
Community Member

Getting Paid - account name not matching bank account - no response from support

Hi Richard,

~ Joanne
Upwork
veronska
Community Member

Hello. I wanted to change my PayPal account to a new one as my payment method but Upwork gave me the following message: "The beneficiary name on the payment method you added doesn't match the name on your Upwork account." So I updated my Upwork email to match the PayPal one but the message remains. My legal name also appears the same on PayPal so I'd like to request a manual name review from the Upwork team. 

Thank you in advance for your attention.

-V

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths