🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Change My Name
Page options
sandee_miranda
Community Member

Beneficiary name is mismatched

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used my nickname when I created this account.

But I have already edited my details to replace my nickname with my full name here in upwork. Any chance you could have my payment method activated already?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,078 REPLIES 3,078

Hi Veronica,

I’ve shared your concern with the team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
thomas_zaeschke
Community Member

The beneficiary name on my payment method (Paypal) matches the name on my Upwork account. Yet, I see a message stating the contrary: “Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account” - how can I resolve this?

Hi Thomas,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your concern.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
6711f631
Community Member

I don't have any surname on my legal documents, I have only my first name. So, how to make an account without a surname.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Aditya,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your concern. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
shehriya-anamika
Community Member

Dear Upwork Community,

I'm having trouble while setting up my payment method on Upwork. I don't have a "Last name" or "Surname" in any of my personal identity proof and I don't have a "Last name" or "Surname" on my bank account too. I use just a first name "ANAMIKA" as my official name everywhere.
Due to the last name issue I'm unable to set up my withdraw and payment method on Upwork.

I'm searching for a live freelancer support team from a month to discuss this issue so I can start working on Upwork as a freelancer but due to this issue I'm unable to upgrade my Upwork "Basic plan" to "Plus membership"

I hope you can understand and help me with this issue as soon as possible. I'm waiting here for your response.

Thanking You

Hi Anamika,

You can use a formal salutation as your First Name, you can use "Mrs." For the Last Name, you can use "Anamika" so that your profile name reads "Mrs. Anamika."

You can update your name by going to Settings and using the edit button. If your name variation is not acceptable, our agent will advise you directly about the mismatch on your documents and will suggest editing your Upwork profile name to match your legal name.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
azar_fahzar
Community Member

I am facing an issue with bank account add section due to name mismatch in bank account and upwork. I have tried to change the same cannot work. kindly help me to fix this issue, Many Thanks. 

Azar

Azar F wrote:

I am facing an issue with bank account add section due to name mismatch in bank account and upwork.

Why do the names not match?

Hi Azar,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
smitshah19
Community Member

Hello,

I am trying to add a bank account for the payment methods but I am not able to add it as it says the name on the Upwork account does not match with my bank account name. In my bank, It is my full name including the middle name which I have not used on the Upwork profile can any admins help me with this? I also tried reaching out to Upwork customer Service but was not able to do that as well as I do not see a contact number where I can reach them. Can someone please help me with this?

Hi Smitrajeshkumar,

I checked your account, and it looks like you have recently requested a name change request. The request is currently being reviewed. Your request will be processed within 48 hours. I also checked that you haven't fill in your Form W-8BEN. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. To provide Upwork with your Form W-8BEN information, please go to Settings  Tax Information, and kindly provide us with your legal name and address. Let us know if you have any questions or need any assistance. We're here to help.

~ Joanne
Upwork
elizabeth-farah
Community Member

I practise under my maiden name, but my bank account is in my Married name. I have a wedding certificate and ID to prove this, who do I talk to? Chat bot told me to post here.

Hi Elizabeth,

I checked your account, and I can see that our team has updated your ticket regarding your concern with your bank account name. Please check out the email from our team. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
aneearsalan93
Community Member

Hi,

I am new to upwork. I used my nick name as profile name. However, I realized my bank account doesn't match with the profile name. I want to change my profile to my name as per the govt. issued ID, so bank account is matched. My Real name as per ID is Qurat-ul-Ain Arif. Nick is Anee 

Hi Anee,

I checked, and it looks like you have already requested to update your name. I'd like to confirm that your name change request has already been approved. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
79fd3087
Community Member

Hello,I am EMI. I just signed up yesterday as a freelancer and completed my first job today. So I registered my bank account to get paid but then recieved your email telling me I need to verify ID in order for my bank account to be accepted because my bank account holder name did not match my profile name on Upwork, and I realised the name shown on my profile is the name I registered to my Gmail account years back, which was my nickname "Emmie" (I used my Google account to sign up yesterday and the name Emmie automatically showed up on my profile and I used it as it was). I finally found I had to use my real name for the profile so I went to setting and changed my profile name. Still waiting for it to be verified though. The problem is, I tried the ID verification but my submission was not able to be completed because I do not have any single document that meet the criteria. For my ID, I was supposed to use my passport because it is my only ID written in English but realised it only includes handwritten address and that is not even on the photo page. It says it must not be handwritten.  And for the bills or statements, I ended up realising I have no single paper bill or statement under my name, they are all under my husband's! I have some  under my name but they are all online bills/statement that will not include required information. I feel awful...I was so happy that I finally found a great platform as a freelancer and I was supposed to get the reward from my first completed job. May I ask for your help to solve this problem? Thank you. 

EMI

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Emmie,

We implement guidelines when reviewing documents and the concerns you have raised regarding your name should not be a problem. You can update your name by going to Settings and using the edit button. If your name variation is not acceptable, our agent will advise you directly about the mismatch on your documents and will suggest editing your Upwork profile name to match your legal name.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
79fd3087
Community Member

I changed my profile name and it worked! Thank you so much for your helpful answer. 

ankushs25
Community Member

Hello There- I am unable to add my Bank account for withdrawing the funds as my bank account( Current account) is registered with my business's name. What is the procedure for resolving this issue.

Regards

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Ankush.

I've escalated your account information to our support team. One of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with your concern.

~ Bojan
Upwork
059a8d9f
Community Member

Hi, 

When I signed up, I used the last name, "W", which isn't my last name.

My account's verified, but I now can't get paid because the last names don't match.

Please change my last name from "W" to the last name on my driver's license. 

Please also keep my display to only show "W" as my last name as I've had too many people contact me via FB as my name isn't very common. 

Thanks.

Hi Iveta,

I’ve shared your concern with the team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
datatask
Community Member

Hi there,

I was facing troubleshooting in adding billing method. The matter was reported by me to the upwork help and a screenshot was also sent to concerned in connection to that, i was informed via email that the issue has been resolved and the restrictions have been removed.

Unfortunately, I have been caught into COVID-19 "corona virus" due to which I remained offline and I stopped my services. Since now I have recovered from the pandemics and resumed my services on UP Work and I again tried to add the billing method but it is still showing me the same error that i reported before my illness.

Please help.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Naheed,

Thank you for your patience. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
767093d2
Community Member

Dear Support,

I use my legal middle name as my prefered name instead of my legal first name. As a result, my account was flagged when I connected my payment info. 

I just submitted my ID information, however due to COVID-19 the DMV is closed in my area. So my physical ID says it expired this month, when actually the state extended it an extra 2 months due to COVID. I have paperwork to show this from the state, however the ID submission wizard only allows me to submit the single photo of my ID. How can I provide both?

Thanks!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Wes,

Feel free to upload your ID along with the statement you're referring to. If our team needs any additional information, they will reach out to you directly and guide you further thought this process.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
767093d2
Community Member

I would be happy to if you could please provide a place to do so. The
wizard does not allow me to upload multiple file. The upload feature allows
me to select them, but the validator limits to 1 file.

Just to update - I actually cannot visit the secure link to upload docs anymore. It just says my docs are submitted. I do not have a location to send/upload the supporting docs mentioned above. It would be a security concern to attach them here so. Could you please point me to where I can apend the addtional docs?

Hi Wes,

Thanks for following up. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
8faccb9e
Community Member

Hi! I have recently changed my name in Upwork because the username I am using on Google got registered in here automatically. Now, I am asked to submit an ID and utility bill. The only government-issues ID I have is a TIN ID and police clearance but it isn’t indicated in the options on FIVS. Also, I currently have no utility bill other than those under my parents name since I am still living with them. Can I just use a utility bill of my parents to verify? What are my options?

Hi DJ Edarl,

One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
billytaylor
Community Member

I can't seem to verify my identity. I have an older account that hasn't been active as a freelancer since 2014 (though my client account has been active). I'm not able to set up a new bank account to deposit payments because of a name mismatch. In the 'Get Paid' section, I have the message that says: 

Payment method verification in progress

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.
Please visit our FAQ page for additional information.

My legal name is William T., but my Upwork profile name is Billy T. This wasn't an issue when I first set up my account. In the contact info section of settings, I have the following message: 

Your name change request is under review. We are waiting for you to complete identity verification

The identity verification link and the FAQ link just take me to a help page, with no instructions on how to verify my identity and I'm unable to change my name on my profile because there are no clear instrucitons or link to do so. What do I do?

Hi Billy,

~ Joanne
Upwork
brengifo
Community Member

Having this "identity mismatch" issue with my paypal account. Name is the same in both accounts. It's the same email address. Why is this?
I need to withdraw funds via paypal because the Payoneer account freeze has left me locked out of my saved funds for the foreseeable future. Upwork isn't making this easy.

Hi Bruno,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
ed-gray
Community Member

Hello,

I am having an impossible time get Upwork to accept my Driver's License or US Passport.

I have taken clear photos of both using my iphone Xs. I have tried uploading them completely unaltered as well as inflating them to 200dpi before making them smaller to be under 20mb.

I've never had this kind of difficulty verifying my identity with any platform before and apparently there's no one to directly contact to escalate this problem?

I can't say for sure, but I believe the inflating to 200dpi is likely what is causing the issue, as the image is resaved and the exif data will be showing a modification to the image. Changing the camera settings or even using a lower resolution camera may be the only option.

I would only do that, after it kept telling me the image needed to be 200dpi.

iPhones don't take pictures with 200dpi so don't understand why this would be a requirement...it's not like I or many of us have other types of cameras anymore?

There was a different link that had apparently been emailed me by Upwork. I was able to get it to accept my verfication there just fine...

Well that was a frustrating hour of attempts Smiley Mad

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members