🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My account beneficiary name is mismatched and...
Page options
sandee_miranda
Community Member

Beneficiary name is mismatched

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used my nickname when I created this account.

But I have already edited my details to replace my nickname with my full name here in upwork. Any chance you could have my payment method activated already?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,078 REPLIES 3,078

Hi Maria,

Our team will be reviewing this and will update you directly. Thank you for your patience. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
bailey-jake
Community Member

Hi, I would like to request a manual name review. The bot directed me here.

Hi Jake,

I checked your account, and I was not able to find any request. Did you request a name change?  If case you would like to request a name change, please go to Settings  Contact Info to edit your name. Let us know if you need assistance. Thank you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

I signed up using my name I go by, which is Jake [surname]) but my bank account is Jacob H [surname], so  I have this on my Get Paid page: "Payment method verification in progress

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account."

Should I just switch Jake to Jacob H and then request a name change or is there a way to resolve this as it is?

JoanneP

Hi Jake,

Thanks for clarifying. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thanks again for your help - do I just click on the link for a support ticket that is in your message you sent just barely or what do I do from here?

And do I file a request? When I clicked the words "support ticket" in your response, since I figured it was a hyperlink to where I could get help, I just got sent to a requests page and see no requests. Genuinely confused on what to do at this point - how do I let you help me?

Hi Jake,

I checked, and I can confirm that one of our team members already reached out to you to assist you with your concern. Please check out the ticket link to view their message. Thank you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Got it now, thank you!

profwrites
Community Member

Hi,

My payment method (PayPal) has been deactivated because of the difference in names. How can I ask a support agent to review my official documents to confirm my actual name (which I use on PayPal) so that this payment method will be accepted? Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you!

Hi Naa,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
58c14682
Community Member

Hello! I have added Paypal account to my Upwork profile in order to withdraw funds. However, my Paypal account name is written in cyrillic and it's approved by the Paypal. At the other side, Upwork doesn't recognize cyrillic names, so I just can't make account name in Paypal and Upwork equal. What should I do to resolve this issue? Please help!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alyona,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your concern. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
devferanmi
Community Member

My account beneficiary name is mismatched and I want to contact support to help out.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Adeniji,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your request. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

My account needs to be reverified but I don't have all the ID provided. However,I have a school Id which was rejected.

Hi Adeniji,

I checked and it looks like you already have a ticket credit regarding your concern. Please follow up with our team directly on the ticket and our team will gladly assist you. You can access your ticket here.

~ Nikola
Upwork
9b190485
Community Member

Hey, 

I want to change my profile name, since I am new to upwork, I registered myself as a freelancer but I used my company's name instead of my name. Now I am in touch with one of the customer & he wants to work with me on upwork. I tried maaping my account but it is saying that your account name is different as mentioned on upwork. So I want to update

my name "Karan Ramchandani" so that I can verifiy my account & get the payment from the client. Please help me on this.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Karan,

You can update your name by going to Settings and using the edit button. If your name variation is not acceptable, our agent will advise you directly and will suggest editing your Upwork profile name to match your bank or payment account name.

~ Bojan
Upwork
9b190485
Community Member

Hey Boja, 

I have raised a request for name change. Hope it will be resolved ASAP as I have to start the work. Can you tell me the TAT for the name change request?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Karan,

Thank you for following up. We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your concern. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
mirandaashley
Community Member

Hello, My name is Ashley Miranda.

But my PayPal is registered as Ashley Solange

Because the name is not matched, I can't connect the PayPal to the Upwork account.

How can I solve that issue?

Regards

Hi Ashley,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Cheers,
Mike
bogdanov_milica
Community Member

Hi, I'm a freelancer at Upwork. I am reaching out to your account support team to review verify name mismatches. I added my payment details and it says the beneficiary name is mismatched. Can you please help me out because I don't know where is the problem because my name matches the name on my PayPal account.

Thanks, Milica.

Hi Milica,

I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue. We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket for further assistance. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
paraskatwal
Community Member

Hey, 

I had linked a paypal with another name which didn't match my accout. I realized that it wouldn't work and added a paypal account with the same name as my Upwork profile. I have a completed 1 job and am currently doing a few jobs. My account's also identity has also been verified yet the paypal still says "The beneficiary name is mismatched" dispite having the same name. 

What can I do? Please help. 

Hi Paras,

Please allow more time for our team to review the name mismatch and notify you of the outcome.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
juliachoi97
Community Member

Hi Upwork community,

I made an Upwork account using my English name, Julia, because I use that name around family/friends. However, my legal name is actually my Korean name, and all my official documents have my Korean name, not my English name.

I didn't know Upwork would require such a strict name verification (I'm new to it) and used my English name because I've had some problems in the past getting hired with my Korean name because some people feel that I'm not good at English/not qualified enough, tragically.

In order to receive the payment, I have to have a name that matches the Upwork profile, so I wanted to change my Upwork name to my Korean name to avoid any more problems. I am not sure how to go about doing this -- I would really appreciate some help!

Thank you.

Hi Julia,

One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hello!

yes I was finally able to fix it and everything seems to be in order. Thank you for your time.

sahil_wowz
Community Member

I want to link my agency's bank account to my profile but since the Name on the bank account does not matches my name i am unable to add the bank account.

Hi Sahil,

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket for further assistance. 

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
ppccompany
Community Member

Hi team,

When I created my Upwork profile I was new to upwork and didnt know much about Upwork policies.I made my profile with my brother's name because I loves him very much and not with my legal name. I didn't know this will become an issue for me. I received a name missmatch message and I was wondering how do I manually change my name to my legal name. Now my paypal account is deactivated and I am unable to withdraw my payment. Should I change with my legal name.

I'd really appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks in advance

Hi Kuldeep,

I checked and it seems that your name change request is under review. The request will be processed within 48 hours and you will be notified of the outcome.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Please help me, i have waited for mkre than two weeks for the name to be verified
paolamarin
Community Member

Hi, I have a question about my payment method. I set up paypal, but i get the message "Beneficiary name mismatch". My account is not currently associated with any bank, what can I do so that the beneficiary name matches my upwork account and I can receive payments?

Hi Paola,

I checked and it looks like you already changed your name. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
adeel_eazzili
Community Member

Hi,

Being a beginner here on Upwork and not having any experience of working on any marketplace, I didn't think about the beneficiary name mismatch situation.

I entered as my last name the 'brand name' that I want to build here on Upwork whereas on my bank account I have my Father's name coming in the Last name section as it's my personal bank account.

Can anyone please guide how I can fix that? Do I need to get a bank new account opened now to get it matched or can my Upwork profile name be edited to match my personal bank account? 

Hi Adeel,

One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
annaimo
Community Member

To register for upwork, I used the last name I got after getting married. But my bank account has the last name I had before I got married, so I asked to change my last name, but got no response. If this is not changed, I will not be able to receive payment for the work. Could you help me.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths