🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » The beneficiary name is mismatched
Page options
sandee_miranda
Community Member

Beneficiary name is mismatched

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used my nickname when I created this account.

But I have already edited my details to replace my nickname with my full name here in upwork. Any chance you could have my payment method activated already?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,078 REPLIES 3,078

Hi Norielyn,

I've shared your concern with the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
27f92797
Community Member

Thank you.
edgu_erinc
Community Member

I have 3 names and different ones on my bank account and Upwork account thats why the beneficiary name is mismatching. How can I solve this withouth changing my name on my prifile and the name on bank account?

Hi Erinc,

It's best to allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll reach out to you and let you know if any further steps are required from you.

~ Nikola
Upwork
kathwilson
Community Member

Hi - I have had a notification stating ' Your payment account name does not match your name on Upwork'. My bank account uses my initials - but they are clearly aligned with my Upwork name so I'm not sure how to resolve this?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for reaching out to us, Kath.

Please, allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
aimeekim53
Community Member

As the title says, The beneficiary name is mismatched because my western alias doesn't match my official name. please help so I can add my bank account in order to get paid.
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Aimee,

You can update your name by going to Settings and using the edit button. If your name variation is not acceptable, our agent will advise you directly about mismatch on your documents and suggest editing your Upwork profile name to match your legal name. 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

how do I know if my name approved or not?

Hi 

I have activated PayPal and its name  Kero

**Edited for community guidelines**

I tried to add my Paypal account as my payment method 

then this message appeared (The beneficiary name is mismatched)

my name on Upwork is

so changed my name to Kero

and the message still appears what should I do?

it's my only available  method I have now

Hi Kero,

Please allow up to 48 hours for the mismatch to be reviewed. If any further information is needed from you, our team will reach out to you directly and assist.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

I want to inform you that I am from Egypt and when I sent you the ID verification 

I sent it in Arabic كيرلس عماد فؤاد توفيق ميخائيل as in my national  ID and it verified successfully

and my name in English is Kerollos Emad**Edited for community guidelines**

and the name in the PayPal account is Kero Emad 

Kero is my nake name Emad is my middle name 

Kero **Edited for community guidelines**my name also.

I hope this clear to you and I hope this PayPal account work it's my only way to get my money 

if there anything can I do let me know

thank you for your help

Hi Kerollos,

Rest assured that name mismatch issues are being reviewed by our team. Please allow our team time to review. If they need any additional information from you, they will reach out to you directly. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
damian_webdev
Community Member

Hello, my name is Damian and I am new to Upwork. When I created my account I accidentaly put both of my first names, so my payment method's name and my Upwork's name don't match. Can I do something about it? The name can not be changed by me. I am willing to confirm my identity if I have to.

Hi Albert,

Thank you for reaching out to us. You should be able to change your name. Could you please go to Settings  Contact Info to edit your name? Let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
shivafernandes
Community Member

Hello there, I would like to know if I can use the short version of my name: Shiva, instead of Shivânanda.

While I know that Shivananda is a very common name for many individuals around here, where I live (Brazil) it's a very unique name and during my entire life I was never called Shivânanda in a positive way. I had some family problems because of my full name and what it means, and thus I've drifted away more and more from using it.

Shivananda is actually a "two word" name, Shiva and Ananda (the â is meant to represent, as it sounds in portuguese, as a double a). So theorically my name is Shiva-Ananda.

Is it possible to just use Shiva here on Upwork? While I don't mind my name around banks and credit cards, here it's different as it's on my face all day long, and I'm not entirely comfortable with it.

And I presume accepting "Shiva" for "Shivânanda" is equivalente of accepting "Bob" for Robert.

Hi Shivananda,

We’ll approve recognized name variations, like Robert/Bob or J.J./John Jacob, within 48 hours. If you use an unrecognized name variation or nickname, we’ll require that you verify your identity. Our team will reach out to you directly to assist in the process. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hello Joanne, first of all thank you for your reply!

I solicited my name change yesterday and received the message saying it's being processed. Now, I have "two names", on the top bar, the client-freelancer messaging system and community forums It's Shiva, and on my Upwork Profile it's still Shivânanda. Is this normal?
Thank you!

Hi Shiva,

Please clear your cache and cookies and then open your profile to view your name. I checked your profile and I can see that your updated name is listed on your profile. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
asdxcristi
Community Member

Hi there!

I'm tring to add a Direct to Local Bank payment method, but it was instantly declined('The beneficiary name is mismatched') probably because the bank account is made with the name of my company, which is different than my personal name.

Could you provide assistance?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ionut Cristian,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Please, allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Bojan,

A few days have passed and the situation seems to be the same. Are there any updates on the matter?

Hi Ionut Cristian,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
alam-sangit
Community Member

Hi,

I'm a freelancer at Upwork. I am reaching out to your account support team to review verify name mismatches. I added my payment details and it says the beneficiary name is mismatched. The following are my name variations: Sangit Alam, Md Asaduzzaman.

Thanks
Md Asaduzzaman

Hello Md A,

I see that you have already resubmitted your request to add a payment method to your account and it is currently under review. Please allow 3 business days for your payment method to be activated.

Thank you

Pradeep H.

Upwork

Pradeep H, thank you for the fast response.

teminii
Community Member

Hello. I have the same problem as well and I'll like to fix it immediately.

Hi Temini,

Thanks for reaching out. Please, allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
seamus_mc
Community Member

I need to contact the Customer Support Centre for a query on my account but when I go to 'Get Help' I only get the Community option which doesn't help me with my query and I am not able to open a request ticket.

My Paypal was always working but not anymore, I reactivated it but now it says the name is incorrect.

Even though it is the same name and previously worked.

Error msg.

Your PayPal has been added Name on PayPal .... does not match your name.

How can I open a support ticket to resolve this issue?

Thanks

Hi Seamus,

To request help, you can click the question mark icon (see screenshot) located at the bottom right corner of this page and provide information about your account type as well as the issue you need help with. *Note: you must be logged in to see this option.
If you don't receive the information you're looking for, you can click the "thumbs down" button and you'll see more support options.

Regarding your name mismatch, I followed with the team and it's already been resolved. For your security, you need to allow 3 days for this withdrawal method to become active.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
puissant
Community Member

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.

**The names provided on my payment methods are no different from the ones filled on Upwork. Likewise, my account has the blue badge, which means the platform already verified my authenticity. 

After getting the notification that the names do not match, I did nothing before it automatically changed the status to *in progress* which has never proceeded for days!

Kindly help to check this out and rectify it. I assume it is an error from your bot or something. Thank you. 

Hi Rasheed,

I followed up with the team and the name mismatch was already approved. Let us know if you need further help.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Confirmed. Thanks for your swift response and help.

Aleksandar, i have quite the same problem. My names are mismatched, seems to, because they are typed in different languages. On my paypal account i have my name in Russian, according to my government ID. Is it possible to manually match my names this way? I wanted to open a ticket, but didnt find a way to do it.

Thank you.

Hi Alexey,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Andrea, 

I've just got this email from Upwork "The name "xyz" on your payment account "xyz bank ending in xxxx" has been manually reviewed by our staff and did not meet the criteria for compliance.

Can you please help me get my payment method verified by ID?

Thanks.
Dave.

Hi Dave,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
75d61f49
Community Member

Hi, how can I resolve this please?

Hi Stefana,

Could you please elaborate on why your account beneficiary doesn't match your verified name so we could assist you accordingly? Please know, to set up payment to your bank or payment account, you must be listed as an account holder or authorized signer on that account, or demonstrate that you are authorized by the business to do so. In some cases, we can resolve name discrepancies. Learn more about this here.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

I am also facing the same issue. My last name is different on my upwork account and my payment account. So how should I solve this issue. Please let me know.

Thank you
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members