🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Your payment account name does not match your...
Page options
sandee_miranda
Community Member

Beneficiary name is mismatched

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used my nickname when I created this account.

But I have already edited my details to replace my nickname with my full name here in upwork. Any chance you could have my payment method activated already?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,078 REPLIES 3,078

Hi Prachi,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
75d61f49
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your reply!
I recently got married and changed my surname to my husbands .
My verified account and ID is under my new married name but my bank account is still under my previous surname .
Is there anything I could send over to be verified without me having to change my current bank account please?

Many thanks!

Hi Stefana,

Thank you for following up. I checked with our team and would like to clarify that if you are asked you can use your marriage certificate for this purpose. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
mujab1
Community Member

My company bank accout name and upwork agency account name are same but while adding payment method upwork says beneficiary name and accout name mismatch.

Hi Mujab,

Thanks for reaching out. Please, allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

~ Nikola
Upwork
mujab1
Community Member

Its been 24 hours passed and neither I've seen any change in payment method nor any soulution suggested by Upwork. 

Although, in "learn more" they it is advised to attach the business ownership certificate BUT while editing payment method upwork doesn't sow any section or area to attach these supportive documents.

I think Upwork should address this issue seriously and quickly.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Mujab,

I would like to clarify that our team has reached out to you via ticket on April 15 to assist you further. One of our team members will reach out to you via a new ticket as well and will assist you further with your payment method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
kam_andru
Community Member

Hi Moderators, 

Please help me to fix the issue, Thanks.

"Payment method verification in progress

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account."

Hi Kamarudheen,

Please, allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
PradeepH

Hello Mercy,

Your payment method has been approved and will be active after 3 days. 

Thank you

Pradeep H.

Upwork

Hello Pradeep, 

I have the same problem 

" Payment method verification in progress

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account "

Can you help me ?

Thanks!

Hi E M,

Please allow up to 3 days for the verification on your payment method to be completed. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello Goran, 

I'm having the same problem: "The beneficiary name is mismatched."

Please help.

-Jean

Hi Jean,

I've shared your concern with the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
c8876a6c
Community Member

I cannot join any payment methods becasue I'm getting a message that my name doesn't match. I followed the Help guidlines, and tried to Edit profile. However, after I click the Edit button it simpy disappears and nothing happens. I remember clearly than when I was setting up the account I provided my full legal name, however, now I cannot find any traces of it anywhere. 

Capture2.PNGCapture1.PNG

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Larisa,

It looks like you added your payment method just recently. Please, allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

You should be able to update your name by going to Settings and using the edit button.

Thank you,

~ Bojan
Upwork
altahsin
Community Member

My full name is hyphenated in the bank account but Upwork doesn't support that as it has the last/first name option. So, the beneficiary name is mismatched. What is the solution?

Hi Abdullah and Thoriq,

Please, allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your accounts for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

~ Nikola
Upwork
daixiaochuan
Community Member

As I'm trying to set up my payment method, I get the following error:

"Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account."

This is because I was using my nickname when I was creating this account. Can anyone from UpWork help me to do a manual name review so that I can resolve this problem?

Thank you. 

Hi Leon,

Thanks for reaching out. Please, allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Thank you. Can you please let me know if the "Manual Name Review" process would be able to let me update my name of my profile?

Hi Leon,

I checked and it looks like you have not finished setting up your profile. You can go to Settings to be prompted to do so. Once you do, you should be able to update your name as desired.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Got it. One more question, after I complete setting up the profile, do I need to "Submit" it to update my name?

Hi Leon,

That is correct. You should be able to edit your name after you complete setting up your profile.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
adaevb
Community Member

Hi all, there is a problem. I can't link my PayPal card. In PayPale the name is **Edited for Community Guidelines**. on Upwork **Edited for Community Guidelines**. What to do?

Hi Beknur,

I can see that the payment method was added to your account and is under verification. It should become active in 3 days. If any issue arises, the team will reach out to you directly.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
shaonh343
Community Member

How to overcome from this? Please help me out with the process!

Hi Shaon,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
indrimiranthy
Community Member

My PayPal account is still inactive. My profile name was different from my PayPal name (using nickname), now I changed my Upwork name but the PayPal account is still inactive.

Hi Miranthy,

In order to activate your payment method and access your earnings, you need to go to Settings > Tax Information and complete the W-8BEN form, which purpose is to confirm you're not a US taxpayer. You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
shervinrass
Community Member

Hi, 

In my notifications it says 'Your payment account name does not match your name on Upwork'. I'm pretty sure they do match. Not sure what to do here. Can someone help me please?

Also, under 'Settings' and then 'Get Paid' it says 'Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account.'

Again, I'm pretty sure that they do match so I'm not sure what's going on here.

Thanks for your time,

Shervin Rassapour

Hi Shervin,

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
74dc3756
Community Member

Hi! I did an Id verification of my name and then I suppose my middle name got included. 

And now I am not able to withdraw money because "Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account."

How can I solve this?

Hi Fredrik,

I shared your report with the team handling your case and your issue with beneficiary name mismatch is now resolved. Feel free to follow up if you need further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
shervinrass
Community Member

Hi there,

Thank you for your help so far. Edwin from Upwork Support emailed me. It appears from the screenshots he sent me I must have put 'Mr' in front of my name for my bank account details because this is how it appears on my bank card. I'd rather not add 'Mr' in front of my profile name on my account because this sounds and looks too formal. Please can someone tell me how to send a bank document to you showing that it's my name on the acount so we can resolve this issue ASAP? Thanks for your time.

Kindest Regards,

Shervin  **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Shervin,

Since you're already in communication with the team via this support ticket, it would be best for you to follow up with them on the same ticket so we can keep all the information in one place and assist you more effectively.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
gisellevazquez
Community Member

I have the same problem... But my name is the same and also the e-mails

Hi Giselle,

I'm sorry to hear you're also experiencing this. Please, allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
vajidaly
Community Member

I am pretty sure that my name in Paypal and my Upwork account is the same,  still, I am receiving this error "payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account."

Hi Wajid,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please, allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths