🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Beneficiary name is mismatched
Page options
sandee_miranda
Community Member

Beneficiary name is mismatched

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used my nickname when I created this account.

But I have already edited my details to replace my nickname with my full name here in upwork. Any chance you could have my payment method activated already?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,078 REPLIES 3,078
marniemendoza
Community Member

Hello, I'm a transgender individual and I set up my account with the name I currently use. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get my legal name changed, so the name on my profile doesn't match the name on my bank account. Is there any way I can make this work?

Welcome, Marnie. As stated on the Upwork "bank name is different" page in the help guides: 

"Upwork will make exceptions for transgender individuals who are in the process of transitioning but have not been able to obtain a name change due to legal or other barriers. Documentation may be required."

Raise a request for a manual name review with Upwork. I'm sure a moderator will be along shortly to also help you. 

Hi Marnie,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket and gladly assist you with your request. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you!

-MM

Hello, 

In my case i got the "The beneficiary name is mismatched" message, but the email and name from both my paypal account and upwork are the same. What do I do?

Thanks in advance,

Hi Carlos,

I checked with the team and I can see they're already aware of your case and it's under review. Please allow 24-48 hours for them to get back to you regarding this.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hello Luigi, 

It has been over a week now and nobody has contacted me about the issue. The "The beneficiary name is mismatched" message is still showing in my profile. I would love if you could help me sort this out.

Regards!

Hi Carlos,

We checked with our team and can confirm your request has been reviewed and approved. Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

I get same issue. Although I did exactly same just capital and small letter issue may be. Whatever, If anyone could help as this already 4 days letter.

Thanks

Raihan

Hi Raihan,

Our team will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further with your payment method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi, I came to notice that the profile name on my account and bank account should be the same. Unfortunately, while creating my account I didn't realize this and created the account with google account credentials. So, the name was mismatching now. I want to modify it as per the name on the bank, please help me.

Hi Sriperumbuduri.

I checked and it seems that your name change was already approved yesterday. Everything should be okay with your withdrawal method. However, in order to make your withdrawal method active and access your earnings, you need to fill out the W-8BEN form to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. You can do that on the Settings > Tax Information page.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Done. In some places still, I can see the old name on the profile page so I got confused. Thank you.

I get same issue. In spite of the fact that I did precisely same simply capital and little letter issue might be. Whatever, If anybody could help as this all around 4 days letter.

Hi David,

Are you referring to another account? If so, could you please send me a private message with your Upwork username or registered email address of the account in questions so that I can check and assist you further?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi, 

I have same issue, My upwork account account is not accepting my name when i am entering my payment detail, upwork is desplaying a message that your benficiary name is not matched with your Bank account name, so please help me to solve this issue so i am get paid. Thank you

Hi Jamal,

In cases like this, please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review your account for name mismatch. They'll reach out and let you know if any further steps are needed from your end.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I have similar problem. But My contract is under an agency that we both created with my husband. We are both full admins in the agency and I am trying to add my personal bank account as a payment method to the agency and it says it doesn't match the name. Can I change the name of the agency to match mine? Or you can accept my personal bank account. Thank you 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bilyana,

Since your husband is the owner of the Agency, they can connect a bank account to the Agency account that’s in the owner’s name or is a joint account that has the owner’s name on it. 

If there is any mismatch between the bank account name and Agency account name, the Agency owner may be asked to clear the mismatch. 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
inj
Community Member

Thank you for your reply, Bojan. 

I'm Bilyana's husband and if that is the situation I would like to transfer the ownership of this agency to her and also authorize her personal bank account (under her name) to be added to the agency.  It has been years since I've worked through Upwork (it was Odesk back then) and I have nothing to do with her contract or her bank account at all. Please let me know what is the procedure and what is required from me.  It looks to me that so many things have changed around here lately. Is there any other support?

Thank you 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Iliyan,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to look into this request and assist you accordingly.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello.
My beneficiary name is still mismatched despite name change being approved successfully.
How do I solve this please.

Hi Queeneth,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and your name mismatch is now approved. Please let us know if you need any further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
3283008c
Community Member

Hi, I have the same problem with beneficiary name but my profile is ID verified, can you please help me? thanks

Hi Omer,

I've shared your concern with the team and you should no longer see this error on your end. Don't hesitate to let us know if you need additional help.

Thank you,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Community Member

Hi, I have the same issue.

The beneficiary name is mismatched, despite I'm using same email for Upwork and PayPal and tried to change my name on Upwork to match.

I'm not able to figure out how to contact customer support!

Could you please help?

Hi Dahlia,

Please allow 48 hours for the team to review your name mismatch.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hello,

In my case i got the "The beneficiary name is mismatched" message, but the email and name from both my paypal account and upwork are the same. What do I do?

Hi Victor Miguel,

Looks like your Paypal payment method was already reviewed and approved!

Please let us know if you need anything else.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

I have the same issue, and names and emails on both accounts are absolutely identical. How long will it take to review?

Hi Nina,

Please, allow up to 24 hours for our team to review. If they need more information from you, they will reach out to you directly. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
bc07388c
Community Member

Hello,

My payment has been returned because of the mismatch between the name on my account and name on my card.

The thing is, I am Bosnian and have affricate latter in my surname “Đ”. As this latter is not present in English language, sometimes it’s written as “Dj” and sometimes as “D”. The problem is that I’ve used “D” on my profile name while my bank used “Dj” on my card.

This is causing mismatch, and as my name is already verified, I can’t find a way to fix this.

Please help. Thanks

Hi Tarik,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
bc07388c
Community Member

Hello,

I quaried about this issue last week under request https://support.upwork.com/hc/requests/32642812

I was told that the account name missmatch was resolved but that the issue is with incorrect account number.

I’ve just spoke to my bank and turns out that I had incorrect IBAN added. I have now corrected this, but upon adding new payment method this message shows up:

https://www43.online-convert.com/dl/web7/download-file/02245cd6-aba3-4560-9c67-810978a72ac8/0F19470B...

I’m still concerned that payments will be rejected due to this. Please ensure that this is resolved. I’ve explained with is causing missmatch in my first request (reference provided)

Thanks!

Hi Tarik,

Please allow up to 72 hours for the review on your new method to be completed. If you're still experiencing any problems after this, feel free to follow up here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi , 

I have same problem with "The beneficiary name is mismatched" but both names , on Upwork profile and PayPal are same , can you please check it out ?

Hi Haris,

I checked and it looks like your beneficiary name mismatch is now resolved. Could you please confirm if you need further assistance? 

~ Nikola
Upwork
1d208b2f
Community Member

Hi Haris,

I have the same issue here that my paypal mismatch with my Upwork name. Could you please help review it to me? And I also have changed my Upwork name as well and my full name supposed to be Chaneliza **Edited for Community Guidelines**. 

Best regards,

Chaneliza 

Hi Chaneliza,

I checked with the team and you should be all set now. Please note that in order to activate your payment method and access your earnings, you need to complete the W-8BEN form, which purpose is to confirm you're not a US taxpayer. You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents. Also remember that for your security, you need to allow 3 days for the withdrawal method to become active.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths