🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Beneficiary name is mismatched
Page options
sandee_miranda
Community Member

Beneficiary name is mismatched

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used my nickname when I created this account.

But I have already edited my details to replace my nickname with my full name here in upwork. Any chance you could have my payment method activated already?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,078 REPLIES 3,078

Hi Yousif,

In order for you to use PayPal as a payment method, it must match your Upwork's profile name. You may check this help article for the additional options you have available. 

Thank you. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
manylags
Community Member

The bank is translating my last name with errors, which is why the error "The beneficiary name is mismatched" occurs.

Hi Daniil,

Thanks for reaching out. Please, allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
dilnadipin
Community Member

Hi,

My bank account is under a name with an initial, which is different in Upwork. I requested for name change in Upwork but the request was denied. I need a manual review.

Does someone know how to request a manual name review? If you do can you help me? It would be greatly appreciated

Hi Dilna,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
awshanor
Community Member

I have a couple of problems.  The first is that my first name on here is the name I go by, which is a shortened version of my middle name.  Any time I try to add bank details, I have to go through the process of having it manually overridden to go through. Can Upwork just change my name on here to the legal one I have on file so that I don't have this issue?  I don't think I should have to go through the verification process again, as that name is already verified on here. Right now, I am trying to update my debit card and it is being flagged with a name mismatch for this reason.

Also, in some places, my name is just wrong altogether.  For instance, when I get emails with my full name, print reports about my account or try to print an earnings statement, they reflect my former married name that was legally changed and reverified on here once I had all of my legal documents changed.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Wendy,

We’ll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your concern. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
awshanor
Community Member

I've received correspondence about my problem, but it's very frustrating to have to provide document after document for a name change I verified four years ago when I got a divorce and reverted to my maiden name. I thought the issue with my bank was because my first name on here didn't match (I was using my nickname, a shortened version of my middle name rather than my first name) but it appears my bank issue is because Upwork failed to correctly change my name in the system when it was verified. It was changed on the front end but somehow left under my previous name elsewhere by Upwork.  Now, after almost nine years on the platform and having gone through the ID verification previously for my name change, I'm having to dig out my old divorce certificate and do it again.  This is absurd.

Hi Amy,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. I've escalated your concern to our team and one of our team members will update your ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
96bc9105
Community Member

Hi there,

My name on my Bank account is Sudip K.C. But here on Upwork, the punctuation is not there (I believe it might be because the system doesn't allow punctuation in names but correct me if I am wrong) and it's just "Sudip KC" . I have just tried changing my bank account name to "Sudip KC" to match the names. Will it work?  If not, How do I remedy this situation?  

Thanks.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sudip,

It looks like you were able to successfully set up your payment method and initiate the withdrawal at it. If our team needs any additional information, they will reach out to you directly. 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
alexeymakeev
Community Member

My Paypal account name is written in cyrillic and approved and can't changed at latin. And Upwork don't support cyrillic. 
What should i do? help please

Hi Alexey,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Please, allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
eb576f98
Community Member

hi I have a jumble on my name yet don't actually see the distinction... would you be able to assist me with approving my payoneer represent my installments? much thanks to you

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi MacHiel,

Could you please clarify your request so that we can assist you accordingly? Are you trying to add a Payoneer card as your billing method?

~ Bojan
Upwork
aurora-select
Community Member

To whom it may concern,

I recently updated our account information and added the Bank information and i see the following

Payment method verification in progress

Your payment method has been deactivated because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account"

I am looking for all the avenues possible to correct the name on the account and unfreeze the payment method, would you please direct a team member to contact me as well.
logouy
Community Member

Hi, I received the notification about my paying method suspended due to mismatched name.

The name in my bank looks in different order (First Lastname+Second Lastname+Name) and with my second lastname. Upwork name is Name+Lastname. Also my Upwork ID is a fantasy word.

If I use the name stated in the bank, people will think that my name is my last name....

Could this be verifyed?
Which one is really the problem? Would it be fixed if I add my second lastname?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Please, allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account for the name mismatch. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello.

I've been put on hold too >_< I tried several things and double-triple check that my account and bank account do have, indeed, matching names. And they do. But, still on hold...
I will add that just like Daniel (previous message) The name in my bank looks in different order (Lastname+FirstName : as we usually do in France) and Upwork name is FirstName+Lastname. Also my Upwork ID is just Stephane B, but it also appears cleary and full length in my Upwork profile account.

On top of this, I already provided my governement ID with, guess what, matching IDs once again...

That is getting really annoying 😞

Little help ? Thanks !

646cba9c
Community Member

I finally got verified two days back and decided to add my bank account details today, which resulted in another hold, turns out my Upwork Profile says MohAmed, while my bank account is MohOmed, which is a mistake from my side, I just changed my upwork name accordingly, but can't verify for the ID because I don't get a NIC option on this one.

This is really tiring and I apologize for the trouble I'm causing, but can someone help me out, this one time? 

Hi Mohamed,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Please, allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

~ Nikola
Upwork
646cba9c
Community Member

Hi still the same, been 72 hours, still no follow up on this, finally my profile name change has gone through, once I get my identity verified via the NIC option, I can add my bank account........ 🙂

Hi Mohomed,

I checked and it looks like you still didn't submit the requested documents. Please click on the 'Get Started' link in the notification and upload your documents.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Aleksander, sigh, the document itself is the problem at the moment, as it asks for a Drivers License or Passport, both of which I don't have, I used my NIC (National Identity Card) to get verified last week, but after the hold I don't get the NIC option. 😪

Hi Mohomed,

There should be an "Other" option that would allow you to upload your NIC. Could you please confirm if you can see it in the dropdown after selecting your country?

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
646cba9c
Community Member

Nope, I don't get the other option..... 

Hi Mohomed Akmal,

Apologies for the delay in my response. I checked this with the team and they advised you could upload your NIC by choosing any of the options available to you. 

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
646cba9c
Community Member

Hi Andrea, thanks, tried it, but that didn't work, I uploaded the backside, as that is the one with details, one day later, I get a message asking to upload the front, I just uploaded front, but it has only my photo in it. My payment for the job I did arrived 02 days back, and here I am struggling for 02 WEEKS trying to get my verification stable in order to add my account. Sigh.

Hi Mohomed,

I followed up with the team and you should be all set now! However, in order to activate your payment method and access your earnings, you need to go to Settings > Tax Information and complete the W-8BEN form, which purpose is to confirm you're not a US taxpayer. You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
dulith_k
Community Member

My bank account name doesn't match to my profile name. My  profile name is **Edited for Community Guidelines** and my bank account name is **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Please help me to solve this problem.

Hello Dulith,

You can update your bank details and our team may reach out to you if they need any clarification on the payment method added to your Upwork account. 

Thank you.

Pradeep H

Upwork

Hello Pradeep

Thanks for helping me. Should I upload my bank statement for that process?

petra_r
Community Member

Dulith K wrote:

My bank account name doesn't match to my profile name. My  profile name is **Edited for Community Guidelines** and my bank account name is **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Please help me to solve this problem.

Which is your real, legal name as it appears on your ID documents? Those look like two completely different names-

dulith_k
Community Member

Hello petra

My full name on ID is **Edited for Community Guidelines**. And  that's what is abbreviated as 

**Edited for Community Guidelines** on my bank account.

Hi Dulith,

I checked with our team and you don't need to provide any document or change your name for now. Please allow more time for your payment method to become active and let us know if you need further assistance after that. 

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
dulith_k
Community Member

Hi Nikola,

Ok, thank you so much for supporting me.

0456be5c
Community Member

Hi,

so i'm trying to add a payment method using a US bank account but the name the beneficiaryname doesn't match mine so its not approved . please what do i do. cheers

Make it match.

petra_r
Community Member

Goodnews A wrote:

Hi,

so i'm trying to add a payment method using a US bank account but the name the beneficiaryname doesn't match mine so its not approved . please what do i do. cheers

That means one of three things:

1. It is not your bank account

2. Your Upwork name is not your legal, real name as it appears on your passport

3. The name are absolutely identical and there is a bug

1. and 2. mean you're doing something that isn't allowed because your profile name must be your real, legal name, and the bank account you use must be in your name or in joint names with you as an official co-owner of that bank account.

Hi Goodnews,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Please allow up to 24 hours for the team to review your account. They’ll let you know if any further steps are required from you.

Thank you.

Pradeep H.

Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members