🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Beneficiary name is mismatched
Page options
sandee_miranda
Community Member

Beneficiary name is mismatched

My direct to bank payment method has been deactivated since my upwork account name does not match the name in my bank account---this is because I previously used my nickname when I created this account.

But I have already edited my details to replace my nickname with my full name here in upwork. Any chance you could have my payment method activated already?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

Our account support team actively reviews verified name mismatches. Please allow up to 48 hours for the team to review the name mismatch on your account. If our team finds an issue with your payment method, we will reach out to you directly with instructions on how to correct it. You can learn more about this here.

If it’s been more than 48 hours and you still see the name mismatch notification on your account, a quick way to contact support is by clicking the "Get Support" button that shows at the bottom right corner of this page.

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

3,078 REPLIES 3,078
3d904413
Community Member

Hi,

I have the payment method deactivated because the beneficiary name does not match the name on your Upwork account.

It is true, my name in PayPal is different ..... it is a name+nick name and I can't change it.
How can you help me?

Hi Iva,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and your name mismatch is now approved. Let us know if you need further assistance.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi, I am having the same error and I need to get paid.

Hi Fernanda,

Your name has been approved.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hello! I have the same issue. Could you please check mine also? Thanks 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alex,

I have followed up with our team and your beneficiary name should be approved already. Feel free to each back to us if you need any further assistance.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

I need help, I have the same problem!

I cannot receive my payment because it says that the accounts have different names. This is not the case, they both have the same name and I am the owner. I have been paid perfectly for 6 months.

I await for an answer

Hi Tomas, 

I checked with the team and they have confirmed that it should be fixed now. Please let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Solved! Thank you!

Will you check mine as well?

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your message. I am pleased to inform you that your payment method has been approved and will be active in 3 days.

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork
verbwit
Community Member

Thank you for the quick resolution!

robin_hyman
Community Member

I've been paid every week for 3 years and this week I'm alerted in the payments section that my beneficiary name is mismatched. How can I solve this issue ASAP?

Please help!

Hi Robin,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and your name mismatch is now approved. Please let us know if you need any further assistance. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thank you!

I've gotten 'The beneficiary name is mismatched' error today too. I need to get the funds ASAP. Could you review the my account's details?

tlbp
Community Member

Evgeniy S wrote:

I've gotten 'The beneficiary name is mismatched' error today too. I need to get the funds ASAP. Could you review the my account's details?

Mismatch error for me as well. Gonna be a busy day, Upwork.

Hi Tonya,

I checked with the team and they were able to clear the mismatch for you.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Evgeniy,

I can see you were able to submit a support ticket with our team regarding this. Please allow some time for our team to review and they will update you directly via ticket as soon as possible.

~Andrea
Upwork
jackstr
Community Member

> I can see you were able to submit a support ticket with our team regarding this. Please allow some time for our team to review and they will update you directly via ticket as soon as possible.

~Andrea

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for the update, but I don't see the submitted support ticket in the list of tickets at https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests and I have not received any emails, and it causes double confusion.

isidora7
Community Member

Hello!
Can you please help me with my issue regarding my payment method being deactivated "because the beneficiary name on your payment method does not match the name on your Upwork account"?
I used Direct to Local Bank transfer to this card for years without a problem.

I don't think the issue is with the special character in my last name ("ć", commonly written as "c" like in my Upwork name), but nothing else comes to mind.

Note: I am using Direct to Local Bank transfer to bank in Bosnia and Herzegovina. I am not residing there currently, but I didn't feel the need to change it as the card in question is a MasterCard.

Please help!
Kind regards,
Isidora

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Isidora and Evgeniy,

have followed up with our team and your beneficiary names should be approved already. Feel free to reach back to us if you need any further assistance.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

After more than a year of regular withdrawals, suddenly, today I have this issue. 

Raised a ticket but the ticket wont show up on the ticket list. (which, sort of makes it even more scary. I have never scene a ticket not showing up in the ticket dashboard)

Ticket Number - 33211963

What is the next step?

Update : (I am panicking, because Saturdays is when I usually withdraw, so created another ticket, 33212032, and that also is not showing up. I cannot search for it. There is no email confirmation that the ticket was created. 😞 )

Hi Vijayasimha,

I checked with the team, and they have confirmed that your name mismatch issue has been resolved. Please let us know if you have any questions or need assistance. We're here to help. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

its working now. thank you.

splacyice
Community Member

Hello Upwork, 

This issue was solved earlier for my ACH bank account. I tried adding a PayPal account to my Upwork but it shows the same error everyone is seeing. I thought this glitch has been solved.
Please can you look into this?
Thanks

Hi Shalome,

I can see that one of our agents has already reached out to you. You can access the ticket by logging in to your Upwork account and going here

~ Joanne
Upwork
stwpd
Community Member

Hey, I am getting this error during payment transfer "Beneficiary name is mismatched". I did transfer many times but never faced this error before, mailed Upwork support, and still, they aren't responding. 

Somebody, please help me, do Upwork have some immediate action mail or chat features, to get instant support or something?

Thanks

jmzwilson
Community Member

Hello Upwork, 

I have the same problem. When I tried to withdraw my available funds on November 19, 2021, it says "The beneficiary name is mismatched." Please resolve this issue as quickly as possible!

Thanks, Joni Wilson

Hi Joni and Yaseem,

I'm sorry to hear you experienced this. I shared your concern with our support team and they'll reach out to you directly to assist you further.

Thank you,

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hello Moderator, 
While I'm aware that Upwork has to screen freelancers for security reasons, this came as a complete shock to me. 
I have been a long-time freelancer on Upwork and my identity has been verified, so to have this disconnect with my account seems like it's a direct attack on me personally. 
I just spent more than 30 minutes trying to locate, take images, and upload them to AGAIN verify my identity and assure Upwork that I'm the person I say I am. 
I suppose it has to be done or else I can't be paid, but it leaves a really bad feeling overall about my relationship with Upwork. It certainly doesn't make me want to recommend Upwork to clients and freelancers and I have to rethink my decision to stay with Upwork as a freelancer. 
Upwork should be aware that this has caused a great disturbance in the people who are making Upwork money. Why would the Upwork leadership want to annoy those of us who are paying for Upwork to remain in business? 
Thank you for listening to my rant. 

Hi Joni,

While we do try and limit the number of times we ask freelancers to verify, we sometimes require verification more than once. This is part of our ongoing effort to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients. Apologies for how this has inconvenienced you and thank you for your feedback.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
PradeepH

Hi Lulcy,

Thank you for your message. I am pleased to inform you that your payment method has been accepted and will be active in 3 days.

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork

I had name mismatch issues last week which by your response here we're
sorted.

I tried withdrawing today only to be told that I had to re-enable my
payment methods. Payment could not be processed and was refunded to my
account. I enabled and requested for payment again and nothing has happened
although my account indicates that I have withdrawn.

Is there an issue with payment freelancers should be notified about?

Thank you.

Hi Lulcy,

I checked your account and I can see that your method is active and that you've already withdrawn your funds. If you're still experiencing any problems on your end, please share more details. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
ivanivoylov
Community Member

Hi, I’ve had a name mismatch with my bank account. I changed my Upwork name but my account still seems to be “frozen” for withdrawal. Can you help me ? What is the procedure in this case?

Hi Ivoylov,

Thank you for your message. I am pleased to inform you that your payment method has been accepted and will be active in 3 days.

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork
ivanivoylov
Community Member

I have similar issue...I changed my name after I received the notification from Ivan Ivoilov to Ivoilov Ivan. Please can you assist me?
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members