cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefits to Working with Enterprise Clients?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
21 of 32

re: "It's strange how all of you 'gurus' really get personal in all of your comments."

One needs to keep in mind that the Community Forum is not staffed by Upwork employees. It literally is a "community" of Upwork users - who come from all backgrounds - who are participating voluntarily.

For people new to the Forum, posting questions and interacting with other Forum users CAN BE JARRING.

Once a person is accustomed to the distinct vibe here, and no longer expects it to be precisely the same as some other social media sites or corporate customer service tools they may have used previously, then most people appreciate how much the Forum has to offer. And the various voices here no longer seem so inappropriate.

laramill
Lara M Member Since: Oct 1, 2019
22 of 32

Yes, I can see that. By looking at the comment history for some of these people, they really really need to get a hobby or something that will make them nicer people. Maybe step away from their laptops for a bit. Thanks for being nice Preston!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
23 of 32

re: "Maybe step away from their laptops for a bit."

LOL.

Well, I'm one of the worst offenders... I'm a straight-up Forum addict.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
24 of 32

Lara M wrote:

Yes, I can see that. By looking at the comment history for some of these people, they really really need to get a hobby or something that will make them nicer people. Maybe step away from their laptops for a bit. Thanks for being nice Preston!

It's a little bizarre to deem people who take time away from their own workdays to answer questions for strangers "not nice" because they don't provide the answers you were hoping for. The answers you get are the ones that will make you successful on Upwork, but not necessarily the ones that will make you feel warm and fuzzy.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
25 of 32

Preston H wrote:

re: "It's strange how all of you 'gurus' really get personal in all of your comments."

One needs to keep in mind that the Community Forum is not staffed by Upwork employees. It literally is a "community" of Upwork users - who come from all backgrounds - who are participating voluntarily.

For people new to the Forum, posting questions and interacting with other Forum users CAN BE JARRING.

Once a person is accustomed to the distinct vibe here, and no longer expects it to be precisely the same as some other social media sites or corporate customer service tools they may have used previously, then most people appreciate how much the Forum has to offer. And the various voices here no longer seem so inappropriate.

Only to those who are personally affronted when they encounter anything other than unconditional positive regard; mistake constructive criticism for an attack; and confuse plain speech with "snark". 

joansands
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
26 of 32

Frankly, Lara, I am appalled at your postings.

tlsanders
Community Guru
27 of 32

Joan S wrote:

Frankly, Lara, I am appalled at your postings.

She's in public relations.

tta192
Community Guru
Andrei T Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
28 of 32

The higher commisions are actually needed for these opportunities to exist on the platform.
Clients of this type don't just "sign up"; they're much more expensive for Upwork to acquire and maintain. They get higher level of support, an easier way to create jobs and select freelancers etc., which can only be covered through the modified commissions. Waiving the 3% fee is just the tip of the real costs that have to be offset.

tlsanders
Community Guru
29 of 32

Lara M wrote:

I just spoke to my boss with this particular client and she said that she had no idea that Upwork was doing this and is going to have their HR department address it immediately. If anything, they are going to request that Upwork drop me to 5% or they will end the contract. 

Thanks for all of your help. 

Since it seems like you're not fully up to speed on how Upwork works...you do know that if they drop the contract through Upwork, you can't continue working with them unless they pay a pretty large buy-out fee, right? 

joansands
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
30 of 32

Laura - I thought Petra gave an excellent response. Better than yours. How snide. And then you suggested that maybe Petra's advice should be taken. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS