🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Best Matches keeps showing wrong jobs
Page options
avaiyaparesh
Community Member

Best Matches keeps showing wrong jobs

Hello everyone,

I am an experienced Electrical engineer and recently joined upwork.I notice a problem with Best Matches results (And it matters because all my proposals are going at the bottom of the list on client's side).

The problem is:

1) Most of the jobs are showing for Web development and Wordpress which I have nowhere set in my profile as my skills. (I keep marking them all as "Doesn't match skills" since more than 10 days and still this "Algorithm" keeps suggesting me completely incompatible jobs)

2) If "Best matches" jobs are for my skills, I'm already eligible for them because client wants someone from specific countries or other criteria. (Upwork shows those jobs as "Best Matches" and when I open them, upwork shows red marks below the description that you are not from this specific area or enough earnings for this job) 

So please help me to understand that,

- If upwork knows that the specific job is totally incompatible to me, why does it suggest me that job?

- How can I manage to get a job if my proposals keep goind at the bottom of the list on client side?

- Should I start learning Wordpress if Upwork is going to keep suggesting me those jobs in future?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Paresh A wrote:

(And it matters because all my proposals are going at the bottom of the list on client's side).

How would you know? Any I doubt there would be a connection, even if that was true.

My "Best Matches" are wrong too. 

Paresh A wrote:

- How can I manage to get a job if my proposals keep goind at the bottom of the list on client side?

Again, how would you know that? Have you asked every client you sent a proposal to?

How would you know? Any I doubt there would be a connection, even if that was true.

Not sure but I asked some clients those whose jobs were not showing on best matches. And also I have noticed no responses for the jobs which are not shown on my best matches results.

Even if Best Matches are not relevant in this case, isn't it possible that client side also follows some algorithm which also broken? And isn't it wrong that it ruins my chances of getting jobs?

And If Best Matches don't matter at all than what is the point of that button on the home page?

Hi Paresh,

I checked and it looks like our team shared some troubleshooting steps with you via support ticket #31407284. Could you please confirm if you've tried them and the issue persists? If so, please feel free to reply directly to your support ticket here or via email so our team can review and assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Yes I did as mentioned in the response as below:

- Perform a search and filter as desired (add a category filter, or use specific keywords related to your skills)
- Click the Save Search button at the top of your search results

Still, no luck.

Best matches still show 95% irrelevant jobs. And those relevant jobs also show after around atleast 2-4 hours after they are posted.

Paresh A wrote:

How would you know? And I doubt there would be a connection, even if that was true.

Not sure but I asked some clients those whose jobs were not showing on best matches.

How did you ask those clients? And why would you ask a complete stranger if you were last on the list? How would such a conversation even happen and how unprofessional is that? How utterly bizzare? Considering that you can't even speak to clients until they contact YOU, are you saying all clients you applied to contacted you back and you asked them all where you were on the list?

Paresh A wrote: And isn't it wrong that it ruins my chances of getting jobs?

How is it ruining your chances of getting jobs? Simply don't use it like most of us.

I took a look at it once, it was irrelevant, so I never looked at it again.

How did you ask those clients? And why would you ask a complete stranger if you were last on the list? How would such a conversation even happen and how unprofessional is that? How utterly bizzare? 

So, this means basically there is no way to know if what is happening to my proposals on client's side and also that asking the same to client is "Unprofessional" (which I agree but still might have done due to fustration).

"Utterly bizzare" is the fact that there is a functionality doing completely opposite of it's intended to on the home page on a site from were freelancers make their living and you are suggesting to just ignore it.

I might be wrong about proposals going to the bottom on client's side (You can find many other posts also by clients raising problems about proposals sorting problem).

But please consider that I am new to Upwork and notices an issue which I thought is not working as expected. So, I raised it to alert Upwork (which I think is important for product improvement).

I took a look at it once, it was irrelevant, so I never looked at it again.

I'm sorry but, Still if you think it is "Utterly bizarre" and irrelevant, please stop looking at this too.

Paresh A wrote:So, this means basically there is no way to know if what is happening to my proposals on client's side and also that asking the same to client is "Unprofessional" (which I agree but still might have done due to fustration).

The point I was trying to politely make was that you can't have asked all the clients you applied to, because that wouldn't be possible. So you can't have done that or know where you appear on the clients' list of proposals. You'll be higher on some, lower on others.

Paresh A wrote:So, I raised it to alert Upwork (which I think is important for product improvement).

Oh, they know! I actually started a thread about how utterly useless that feed is last year. It's still utterly useless.

Paresh A wrote:

"Utterly bizzare" is the fact that there is a functionality doing completely opposite of it's intended to on the home page on a site from were freelancers make their living and you are suggesting to just ignore it.

"Utterly bizarre" is perhaps an overstatement. I would call ît "typical Upwork". And veteran Upworkers know that it will likely take months or years for Upwork to recognise that a feature is useless,  or even counterproductive,  and remove it. In the meantime, at least this example is one that's easy to ignore. That can't be said in all cases.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths