🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Best action? don't want my JSS got hurt
Page options
orcio
Community Member

Best action? don't want my JSS got hurt

I have this situation where a client refuses to approve a milestone and pretend I have to work on new requests forever on a fixed price milestone I delivered ok.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/client-holding-payment/m-p/656607#M397625

After 14 dyas I got paid by UpWork, great.

Now he is out for two weeks. And warned/menace me that I'll get an outstanding review ONLY if I continue to work for free.

I already did the last modification outside the scope of the milestone, but that is enough.

What is the best strategy to minimize the impact on my JSS?

Should I close the contract saying, an unresponsive client? (he don't have access to email for another 10 days I guess)

Leaving it open and there is no chance I'll get any more money from him, not in 2 weeks or ever, is a bad choice, right?

Another option? 

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Michael S wrote:

So if he leaves bad feedback, one of the perks of being top rated is removing feedback once every so often (I wanna say three months or 10 jobs, but not 100% sure).

3 months *and* ten jobs (both.)

Michael S wrote:

If you close the contract before getting paid, I'm pretty sure that money goes back to the client, and you'll never see it. So I would leave it open until you get paid.

He's been paid, hasn't he? "After 14 dyas I got paid by UpWork, great."

If the client is away from the Internet for 2 weeks close the contract right away, as after 14 days the client is no longer able to leave any feedback at all. Problem solved.

Close it as successfully completed because it was.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
michael_skaggs
Community Member

If you close the contract before getting paid, I'm pretty sure that money goes back to the client, and you'll never see it. So I would leave it open until you get paid.

As for his promise of only leaving good feedback if you work outside of scope, I'd report him for that once all is said and done. At the same time, you're top rated. So if he leaves bad feedback, one of the perks of being top rated is removing feedback once every so often (I wanna say three months or 10 jobs, but not 100% sure). Basically, I wouldn't worry too much about what he's going to say about you, and refuse to do any more work outside the scope of the project milestone.

He'll get mad, but you don't have to work for him ever again. You'll likely never be paid for the out of scope work, but as long as you get paid for the work you originally promised, I'd just mark the rest up as "the cost of dealing with a difficult client."

Hi, sorry if I wasn't clear. I already got paid (after 14 days of summiting the whole work we agree on this milestone, UpWork paid) but I was working for free outside this.

So what is the difference in ending a contract like a successful task(I accomplished all agreed and more, just got paid partially)

Or closing it as an unresponsive client?  

Michael S wrote:

So if he leaves bad feedback, one of the perks of being top rated is removing feedback once every so often (I wanna say three months or 10 jobs, but not 100% sure).

3 months *and* ten jobs (both.)

Michael S wrote:

If the client is away from the Internet for 2 weeks close the contract right away, as after 14 days the client is no longer able to leave any feedback at all. Problem solved.

Close it as successfully completed because it was.

Petra R wrote:

After a 6 hour on-site turned into a string of 10 hour days, my overworked brain read it as the client was still refusing to release the milestone, and overlooked the past-tense of getting paid because I'm used to horrible grammar when reading user-generated content.

I clearly need more sleep.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths