🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Best kind of contract for ongoing jobs
Page options
eric5037
Community Member

Best kind of contract for ongoing jobs

Hi,

What do you think the best kind of contract for ongoing jobs is?

- fixed price contract + milestones?

or 

- hourly contract with manually added hours?

Thank you. 

4 REPLIES 4
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

It depends on the work, the pace, the increments for deliverables, the client's preferences, the FL's preferences... I have had successful and profitable long-term engagements using both contract types. And I've had projects of both types go sideways or at least, not work out as well as they could have under the other model. 

Phyllis G wrote:

It depends on the work, the pace, the increments for deliverables, the client's preferences, the FL's preferences... I have had successful and profitable long-term engagements using both contract types. And I've had projects of both types go sideways or at least, not work out as well as they could have under the other model. 

Thank you Phyllis to share your experience. 

The fact is that I have 2 of them, one hourly contract with 2-3 jobs a month and another fixed price contract with just 1 job a month. I tend to think that hourly contracts are explainable when there is a certain frecuency and the fixed price contracts when there is not so much frecuency.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "What do you think the best kind of contract for ongoing jobs is?"

Hourly.

lysis10
Community Member

I prefer hourly but I don't use manual time. I think escrow would be better if you want to use manual time.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths