Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best kind of contract for ongoing jobs

Highlighted
Community Guru
Eric B Member Since: Feb 21, 2017
1 of 5

Hi,

What do you think the best kind of contract for ongoing jobs is?

- fixed price contract + milestones?

or 

- hourly contract with manually added hours?

Thank you. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
2 of 5

It depends on the work, the pace, the increments for deliverables, the client's preferences, the FL's preferences... I have had successful and profitable long-term engagements using both contract types. And I've had projects of both types go sideways or at least, not work out as well as they could have under the other model. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Eric B Member Since: Feb 21, 2017
3 of 5

Phyllis G wrote:

It depends on the work, the pace, the increments for deliverables, the client's preferences, the FL's preferences... I have had successful and profitable long-term engagements using both contract types. And I've had projects of both types go sideways or at least, not work out as well as they could have under the other model. 

Thank you Phyllis to share your experience. 

The fact is that I have 2 of them, one hourly contract with 2-3 jobs a month and another fixed price contract with just 1 job a month. I tend to think that hourly contracts are explainable when there is a certain frecuency and the fixed price contracts when there is not so much frecuency.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 5

re: "What do you think the best kind of contract for ongoing jobs is?"

Hourly.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 5

I prefer hourly but I don't use manual time. I think escrow would be better if you want to use manual time.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS