cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices:: New proposal or adjust the original?

rickmay_pnw
Ace Contributor
Rick M Member Since: Mar 18, 2017
1 of 6

I'm still new to using Upwork and was wondering about best practices and how other freelancers handle this...

If you write a proposal and after multiple message exchanges with the potential client, the job scope has changed from when you first wrote the proposal...  Do you A) Withdraw your proposal and write a new one with all the new information laid out and clear from the start?  or B) Use the Propose New Terms button and just add the new information?

Part of me thinks that (A) is the better option just for the sake of it being cleaner and easier to follow.  But I'm not sure if this is a mistake because you are losing the "paper trail" of adjustments.  Not sure this even matters for a project that hasn't even begun.  (A) also has the potential of confusing the client, "Hey, I'm going to withdraw my previous proposal and send you a new one.  So go find it and respond to it."  Smiley Happy

How do you guys deal with this?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 6

There's no reason to do any of that. If you're already in the interviewing phase, just discuss the scope and new terms with the client and if he agrees, he can use those terms when creating the offer.

rickmay_pnw
Ace Contributor
3 of 6

@Tiffany S wrote:

There's no reason to do any of that. If you're already in the interviewing phase, just discuss the scope and new terms with the client and if he agrees, he can use those terms when creating the offer.

Hmm. Sounds like I'm completely naive about the process.  So, after the interview stage, the client creates an offer?     I clearly wasn't paying a whole lot of attention on the few projects I've done here.   But now that you bring it up, I do sorta remember that. 

So, I guess I have to ask a different question...  Upon receiving a new offer, does the system allow for us to Accept it, but also at the same time clearly identify what we are doing (assuming that the client was not very clear in the offer)?  Or is the paper trail of messages enough in case of future dispute?

Thanks

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 6

Rick,

As Tiffany pointed out, the client can list the terms you both agreed to during the interview when they create the offer. You will then be able to accept or decline the offer. Once you accept it, it becomes a contract. It's a good practice to document all the terms, expected deadlines, scope and changes in Messages and in the offer.

~ Valeria
Upwork
rickmay_pnw
Ace Contributor
5 of 6

@Valeria K wrote:

Rick,

As Tiffany pointed out, the client can list the terms you both agreed to during the interview when they create the offer. You will then be able to accept or decline the offer. Once you accept it, it becomes a contract. It's a good practice to document all the terms, expected deadlines, scope and changes in Messages and in the offer.

Thanks Valeria,

I promise to pay more attention on the next project.  But just so I understand...

Let's say the client sends me an offer.  In that offer he/she does not mention that it is due on Sept 1st.  However, I want to make sure that is included...   How do I do that?   Can I do it before accepting?  Or does the client have to put that in and resubmit an offer? 

In the real world (outside of Upwork).  I write a proposal, the client responds favorably, and then I submit a contract laying out all the details for the client to sign.  Not the other way around.  So is it completely in the hands of the client in the Upwork system?

I glossed over all this stuff on the few Upwork projects I've done because they weren't worth very much and if I lost out on $100, I wouldn't care.  But on larger projects.. . That would be different.  Is there a link somewhere the describes the process and answers these questions I'm asking?

Thanks!

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
6 of 6

Rick,

Freelancers can't edit the offer, so the client will need to re-submit a new offer if you don't agree with any terms in it. That said, if you and your client clearly defined the terms and deadlines in Messages along with the offer, they will also be taken into consideration if any problems or disputes arise.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS