🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Best practices to deal with potential scams
Page options
6955b48e
Community Member

Best practices to deal with potential scams

Hi community,

it's great to meet you. I literally just signed up on Upwork and already had the pleasure to work with 2 great clients. Until …

I sent a proposal for a paid test translation – small scope and the outlook for more. Sounds good! Last Sunday the client sent me all I needed to get started and we agreed on a deadline. 

I have many years of experience outside of this platform. So I am well aware this one is my very own fault: I started working right away since I really wanted to do a fantastic job.

The deadline was on Monday. And that was when I reminded her about the missing contract so I may upload my (by then finished) translation as a milestone. Crickets! Response times may differ but my gut feeling is pretty bad. Although her profile looks fine – at least from a newbie perspective.

What would be your next step? I would just love to be the only one who learns this lesson the hard way. Thank you so much Iris

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

If a client says they have an important deadline, but they don't create the contract...

It means that they do NOT have a deadline.

DEFINITELY not your problem as a freelancer.

Don't work without a contract.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
celgins
Community Member

As you said, you are well aware that you completed work unnecessarily since the client had not started a contract. My next step would be to do nothing and wait. When/if the client wants the test translation, she will start a contract with a milestone.

The good thing is, you did not upload the test translation, correct? If the client was attempting to scam you, time was wasted, but she does not have the completed translation.

6955b48e
Community Member

Thank you so much for your great input! By now I would not work with this client anymore since I belive that communication is key. And 1 week of crickets is quite a red flag (if there is no very convincing reason for it).

prestonhunter
Community Member

If a client says they have an important deadline, but they don't create the contract...

It means that they do NOT have a deadline.

DEFINITELY not your problem as a freelancer.

Don't work without a contract.

Fantastic reminder! Thank you!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members