🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Best way to end client contract
Page options
alett-lewis
Community Member

Best way to end client contract

I have a new client who entered into a contract with me that states 1/3 payment at start of project, 1/3 half-way and 1/3 end.

He has funded the first 1/3 but refuses to release the funds for payment until a point in the process he now decided will be the release of the funds. The way I work is that the projects starts on first payment, which was explained and agreed by him

I've actually already starting to work on the project thinking that he will release funds. However, from experience I know that once clients start getting difficult and make changes without being agreed to by me, this is going to turn into a nightmare project. I'd much rather just close this contract and move on to clients I can trust working with.

So the questions is, how do I close this contract without getting a bad rating. As a top-rated freelancer I know I can have one bad review removed but I would prefer keeping that option open for future. 

3 REPLIES 3
wescowley
Community Member

Alett L wrote:

So the questions is, how do I close this contract without getting a bad rating. 

Unfortunately, the answer is you can't. You can close the contract, but you can't control the review you get.

Even though I haven’t received payment?

Alett L wrote:
Even though I haven’t received payment?

Contracts that end without any payment have a negative effect on the JSS, but no visible feedback will appear on your public profile.

Chances are your JSS will drop a couple of percent, but you could use your  feedback removal perk if it's more than that.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths