cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to interview illustrators

Bryan L Member Since: Apr 22, 2015
1 of 3

I'm getting ready to hire an illustrator to create a web mascot for me.  I've got the basic idea (e.g. animal type, action, etc.), and can point the way to similar designs.  

What's a fair way to get an idea of whether an illustrator and I are on the same page during the application/interview process?  A quick sketch or something based on the concept would work for me for a hiring decision, but I'm not sure if that's a reasonable thing to ask for during an interview.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a good balance between my time/$$ and the freelancer's, especially in the application phase?

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
2 of 3

Hi Bryan L. and Welcome!

I would advise you when hiring an illustrator, to look at the portfolios of different freelancers to get a sense of their style.  If you want a freelancer to create any original work for you, even if it is a part of your screening process, then you will need to pay them for their work. You would need to hire them on for a test phase.

i hope this information helps and that we can get some feedback from other clients that have hired for similar jobs.

-Lena 

Untitled
Bryan L Member Since: Apr 22, 2015
3 of 3

Thanks for the input Lena E.  I think a test phase idea makes sense and is probably the best balance.  I'll try it out.

-Bryan

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS