Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better Quality Control For Buyer Posts

walidlb
Walid B Member Since: Jan 5, 2019
1 of 12

Hi everyone at Upwork,

I am here because I have a suggestion regarding Buyer posts.

I think there should be a mandatory multi-question format for Buyers, just like the optional multi-question option Buyers present to Sellers.

I say this because we are seeing Buyers writing up posts that looks something like this:

Subject: Article reformat

Info: Need article reformatted fast.

Okay, how many words? What is the content? When do you need it back by?

These are important questions for a Seller before he decides to use up his Proposal Credits.

So, I am proposing that there should be a mandatory multi-question format, to overcome this "Lazy Buyer Syndrome", if you will. Now, it could be a standard format for all "categories", but this will not be detailed enough. Instead, it can be a specific format for each subcategory. This will make for excellent quality control and less wasting of credits and time.

It can look something like this for the subcategory of editing and proofreading field, as soon as the buyer clicks the subcategory from the drop-down, they get a new format; new questions:

Subject: (What do you need to be done?)

Box 1 - What specific work do you need to be done? (Mandatory - eg. light proofreading, involved editing)

Box 2 - How many words are in your text? (Mandatory)

Box 3 - What is the subject matter? (Mandatory)

Box 4 - When do you need it back by? (Mandary - give a specific date)

Box 5 - What is the subject matter? (Mandatory)

Box 6 - What is your maximum budget? (Mandatory)

This will make the website much more organized and will produce faster and better quality results. Some people just don't bid on certain offers because they don't want to risk their credits to later find out they're not interested when the details appear.

What do you guys think? 

- Walid

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
2 of 12

Actually I prefer to get a measure of the potential client by what they write and not what they are forced to write. If they are a "lazy buyer" as you put it, I want to understand that by their job description not after taking my time with them. The way a job post is written says a lot about a client and I don't need artificial hand holding to obscure that. Bad job posts are trivial to scroll passed. Bad clients that are obscured because of behind the scenes hand holding can waste more of the freelancer's time that could have been sussed out earlier. 

The canned freelancer questions you reference are garbage. It actually tells me something - in a negative way - when a client uses these. They are generic, redundant and often impose more on the freelancer's response than the job post itself deserves. I would not model anything after those questions other than how not to do something.

walidlb
3 of 12

Thank you for your friendly and courteous opinion, Scott.

Anybody else?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 12

Not every client/freelancer pairing is meant to be.

Different types of freelancers like working with different types of clients.

Many of the things you want to see in job postings are things that other freelancers prefer to avoid.

re: "Some people just don't bid on certain offers because they don't want to risk their credits to later find out they're not interested when the details appear."

I understand your point, but this just doesn't apply to everybody. Many freelancers never use many connects, or never come close to running out of connects. So bidding on a job that is vague isn't really "costly" except in terms of time. A freelancer who likes working with newer clients may be quite happy to submit a job proposal to a job posting with limited information.

walidlb
5 of 12

Thanks Preston for your reponse. I understand. I am new to this website so I think I may have seen things a little one-sided, I am still learning. It was just an idea that I wanted to float by others.

Thanks again,

Walid

walidlb
6 of 12

It seems my suggestion was not an appropriate one, I would like to ask the moderators to kindly delete this thread (I don't see the option to do it myself). Thank you.

Sincerely,

Walid

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 12

Walid:

I don't think it is not an "inappropriate" suggestion. And there's nothing to be embarrassed about regarding this thread. This is a worthwhile discussion.

Even if Upwork doesn't implement these specific changes, Upwork has from time to time made modifications along these lines, in order to help clients better communicate their needs and ideas. But, at the same time, Upwork is trying to maintain a general-purpose freelance work platform. Some of your ideas may make a lot of sense in a specific context, but may simply not work here.

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
8 of 12

@Walid B wrote:

It seems my suggestion was not an appropriate one, I would like to ask the moderators to kindly delete this thread (I don't see the option to do it myself). Thank you.

Sincerely,

Walid

There is nothing inappropriate about your thread. Everyone is allowed an opinion and people can agree or disagree. There would be almost no posts on this forum if we deleted threads where folks had different takes or experiences than the OP. I may not agree with the suggestion but that doesn't invalidate it as a suggestion.  

vivaciakahwen
Rachel R Member Since: Jan 4, 2019
9 of 12

Walid: Don't listen to Preston. He's got issues.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 12

@Walid B wrote:

Sincerely,

Walid

Don't feel that way. There are plenty of people who agree with you, even if they haven't shown up in this thread thus far, and discussion of the pros and cons is useful.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS