Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better way to change price for my repeat client

peteradeleye
Peter Boluwatife A Member Since: Aug 23, 2016
1 of 5

Hi Guys,

Upwork just started to be fun for me as I now have a repeat client.

I was off guard as it was my first experience with invite jobs so I accept his invite with excitement.

A day later he invited me for another project for the same price.

The problem is that the price is way below my rate and I am planing to increase it. I do not want him to feel I am taking advantage of being a repeat client to hike the price. He is a great guy to work with and I do not want to loose this connect.

Your advice please..

Thank you

turbocro
Community Leader
Igor S Member Since: Apr 8, 2015
2 of 5

I had many great clients I had been working with here in past two years.

I worked hard on increasing my rates, and once your hourly rate pass the max amount they can pay you there is no point in working with them anymore because you are losing money.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
3 of 5

Peter Boluwatife,

Clients should not expect the same rates in perpetuity. You may find it helpful to state in explicit terms that you periodically review and adjust your rates, and refer clients to that policy as needed—e.g., at the beginning of each new client relationship.

Best,

Michael

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 5

This seems to be less an issue of raising your rates than having accepted a single job at lower than your posted rate.  If that is the case, I would politely point out to the client that I'd accepted the initial job because I was interested in the work that he offered and had the time available, but he had probably noticed that my regular rate was $XX.

I might offer him a rate slightly below the posted rate if there is a big gap between what he paid before and your regular rate (though I am sure that many others will disagree with this), both so that the increase isn't a shock in one jump and so that he feels valued as a client and like you are attempting to accommodate him.

peteradeleye
Peter Boluwatife A Member Since: Aug 23, 2016
5 of 5

Thank you all for your responce. These are helpful,

I really appreciate

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS