🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Between a rock and a hard place
Page options
kathy1010
Community Member

Between a rock and a hard place

Hi. I finished a job for a client, and he gave a 5* review. He opened another job, funded it, because he's expecting work from a client. It's been weeks, and there's been no work. 

I messaged him asking him if we should close the second contract. He said absolutely no, because the work was coming. 

If it's open, I risk Upwork down-rating me. If I close it, I lose a client and risk a bad review for going against his wishes.

Any suggestions? Thanks, guys.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
browersr
Community Member

You are not in immediate danger of taking a hit from UW. It's only been a few weeks. I'd certainly wait especially as your client is still in contact with you. Only after much more time (others can chime in on when) AND when the client becomes unresponsive for an unreasonable period of time, should you consider closing this yourself. Regardless, sit tight. 

 

Somewhat separately, you have a client who has already given you a 5-star review and remains in contact with you, but you are still considering closing a contract over the JSS fear. I'd advise you to re-think your priorities. Given the circumanstance as you have painted it, and there is no way this should even be a question right now.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
madbanditroy
Community Member

I would talk to the client about your concerns. If he's not sensitive to them, you should close the contract. I know you want to have a good rating, but clients should realize that Upwork freelancers can't be locked to one client only. Hope this helps, Virginia. Good luck to you.

It's frustrating, because it's not my client, it's his client who is causing the delay. I'll wait it out for a few more days. Thanks.

browersr
Community Member

You are not in immediate danger of taking a hit from UW. It's only been a few weeks. I'd certainly wait especially as your client is still in contact with you. Only after much more time (others can chime in on when) AND when the client becomes unresponsive for an unreasonable period of time, should you consider closing this yourself. Regardless, sit tight. 

 

Somewhat separately, you have a client who has already given you a 5-star review and remains in contact with you, but you are still considering closing a contract over the JSS fear. I'd advise you to re-think your priorities. Given the circumanstance as you have painted it, and there is no way this should even be a question right now.

You're absolutely right. What was I thinking? I'm just getting an open-contract phobia.


@kathy1010 wrote:

You're absolutely right. What was I thinking? I'm just getting an open-contract phobia.



@kathy1010 wrote:

You're absolutely right. What was I thinking? I'm just getting an open-contract phobia.

 

Great advice from Scott.

 

That said, one thing you can explain to the client (if it drags on), is that a funded milestone automatically goes back to the client after 90 days. I find it helpful when you can use/blame Upwork rules when trying to get clients to step it up.  🙂


Thanks, Virginia.

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Jan 31
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths