cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware! oDesk allows Clients to change Freelancer's history for a closed and paid contracts - i.e. at any time

zcrendel
Grigory M Member Since: Oct 13, 2009
1 of 80
Freelancers beware! oDesk allows Clients to change Freelancer's (your) history for a closed and paid contracts - i.e. Client can change your own history at any time he wants as it happened to me. The job which I've done was a public job and with a title 'Unix C Program' (the same title was in a contract too). It was done, closed and paid and appeared in my work history as it should. BUT a day after it was completed (and appeared in my profile/feedback history in correct form) - it was suddenly changed to invite-only (i.e. description of the job has been hidden) and the title changed to "a" in my history (yep, "a" is now the title which showed in my profile/feedback history and moreover that might be whatever client want it to be - not just "a" for a PAID and CLOSED contract in a Freelancer's own history). Again, my history changed by the client for a closed and paid job and even without notifiying me - i.e. silently! I asked to investigate this thing to the support oDesk team and after a month of useless talking I've finally got what: "Please note that this can only be change by your client." So oDesk thinks it's OK what: 1. My history was forced to change by the client for a closed contract 2. It happened silently (for me) and I saw that only because did check my profile visually 3. oDesk do not want to return back the title without client's permission (but who asked me when my history was forced to change?) 4. oDesk still permits to the client to change this job in my (freelancer's) own history in anyway Freelancer's beware! your history can be cheated this way too! I'm very dissapointed of a such thing happen and especially what oDesk thinks - it's OK what such things can happen and what support do not want to return back at least correct title even after a month of a silence from the client.
marvyjay
Marvel J Member Since: Jun 30, 2011
2 of 80
I am aware of this. How about talking to your client, explaining that you want them to revert to the original description. It's possible the client want the details of this job to be private.
zcrendel
3 of 80
> It's possible the client want the details of this job to be private. Client disappeared and do not want to answer to oDesk requests, why he will answer to mine? And why he won't change the title to something more odd than just "a" if he will think - I'm so annoying with my requests? Btw, title "Unix C Program" has no secrets, it's pretty common title which I want back in my history.
mistykeith
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
4 of 80
If I was your client I wouldn't change anything for you. You're being obnoxious really. The client apparently had a need to make this private, and it is really none of your concern as to why. Your past client doesn't HAVE to do ANYTHING. They paid you, and I'm assuming were satisfied with your work? You should be thankful you had a fair client and had some work. It is annoying to see a complaint like this. How is it hurting you? It's not. You're just upset that there is no description for the job you did. Move on, nothing can be done about it. All that energy you're using complaining could be put to working.
kobor
Ace Contributor
Sandor-Csaba M Member Since: Apr 26, 2011
5 of 80
Huh? What if the client changed the title of contract to let say : "make striptease in front of me" or something similar. Would that hurt him? Would in that case oDesk wait for the client to return? Obviously a change like this shouldn't be allowed, or we as freelancers should be immune from that (aka if the client changes the title, the change will show only on client profile, and new hires profile. Is not that bad like the other oDesk 'features', but still not good.
ladyelexia
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
6 of 80
Titles like that are not allowed, and they never have been. A great number of clients like to keep their job details private, and anyone looking at his profile not only can see the great feedback he got, but can understand what type of work it was. It really is a usless complaint as is has no actuall effect on his profile, or if he gets hired by some one else. If a client wants to know, they can ask. As a client myself, I rarely place what the person is working on in the title. If they are coding, or writing, or doing customer service, I will often place my own interal code as the title so I know what to pay, what their job is ect.. Find more things that actually need changing, not things that dont have a negative affect.
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
7 of 80
It hurts the freelancer Suppose a client is looking for a unix programmer. There are two freelancers applying for the job. One freelancer's job history has "Unix Programmer" - 5 stars The other also has a job with 5 star feedback, but the job title is "a". Everything else being equal, who do you think is going to get the job? It also hurts clients looking to hire by not giving an accurate picture of the freelancer's work history. Are you telling me that when you choose who you are going to hire for a job, you don't check the freelancers' work histories? I don't think you can assume what the job was based on the profile overview. Sometimes freelancers take jobs that go outside the boundaries of what is in the profile. The amount a freelancer was paid for past jobs also affects rate negotiations. If a client wants to offer me $10/hour for a job, and I can show that I previously did a similar job for $20/hour, I have something to negotiate with. (This can also work in the client's favor if the freelancer previously worked at a lower rate.) I imagine it might also affect position in search and the new algorithms that hide some freelancer's applications and guarantee some freelancer's work. I have worked on private jobs and on websites where the client did not want information about the website to be displayed publicly. My job title still mentioned writing, editing, etc. How does this hurt the client? The only way I could see a potential problem if is if the client is pretending to do all writing/programming themselves and is afraid of getting caught. (Although I have ghostwritten and my clients have not had a problem with including the correct job title on my profile.) If past job history doesn't matter, then all of our jobs should be removed from our profiles and we should just have total feedback rankings at the top.
zcrendel
8 of 80
Great and detailed explanation dear Marcia. Thank you! > How does this hurt the client? Even if it hurts client (if client thinks it hurts him) then he must do change of a title thru oDesk support ONLY, but not at any time he want it to do. The "game" must have fair and clarified rules. Otherwise history is a useless peace of nothing.
coffman-robin
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
9 of 80
A client changing a job title like that is like someone messing around with your personal resume. Search looks at those titles, and I am sure a majority of clients look also. The title is most definitely relevant and should not be open to change outside of the freelancers knowledge.
ladyelexia
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
10 of 80
It may have a short term affect on freelancers who only have a single untitled job on their profile, but in the long run, a contractor worth their salt will be able to land their project based on their skills, not the titles of their past work. I always check the work histories of potential hires, and like I said, if there is something I want to know, I ask. Most serious clients not only will ask if they are curious, but they will base their hiring choices on the skills of the contractor, not the titles of the jobs they had with other clients in the past. as for the oDesk search alg's, they are all screwed up, and having a title or not on one past job will do very little in helping a person rank in the searches. I should know, i am also a contractor and the changes have messed up my reach results, but it does not stop me from landing every job that I actually get interviewed for. (though the auto-hide does affect how often my application is seen). As for rates, it is foolish to allow any client to dictate your rates based on what you charged someone else, I have never allowed this, and neither should you, or the OP, or anyone else. You should base your rate on the details of the job, how long it would take you to finish, and your overall desire for the project. I have had sites I have worked on for $35 per hour, and others I have worked on for $5-$8 per hour, at the same time. Every project and client is different, as is the work load and subject of those projects, negotiation should only be based on the task at hand. In my 11 years of freelancing, I have never had a client ask me to change my rate based on what I charged a different client publicly-as in never ever, if a client did, I would likely choose not to work with them since that shows a level or disrespect I am not comfortable with. As for why clients choose to name their post they way they do, it really doesn’t matter, being that it is their job post, and they are paying for the service, they can name it whatever they want. Really, if the rate is fair, and the feedback is fair, then what's in a title. There may be some people who are hiding the titles for nefarious reasons, I wouldn’t know. Personally, I use codes since I hire such a diverse range of contractors, in large numbers, I really would not be able to keep track otherwise. So there is really no such thing as a "correct" title. As a contractor, I have had so many weird and just plain inaccurate titles applied to my profile, but it has never affected my ability to land new work, since I get hired based on my skills, I am not sure what other's get hired based on, but it is what it is. Regardless, you have your opinion, I have mine 🙂
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS