cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware! oDesk allows Clients to change Freelancer's history for a closed and paid contracts - i.e. at any time

zcrendel
Grigory M Member Since: Oct 13, 2009
11 of 80
> not the titles of their past work. Most long terms I've got were because I had very good feedback in a past similar jobs. How did they obtain similarity? Good guess - because of TITLES.
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
12 of 80
The rate should reflect the contractor's experience as well as the job. If I saw that other applicants for a job had less experience than me, I would use that as a lever for negotiating a higher rate. More experience, with good feedback, generally means better performance and is therefore worth more. Contractors successively increase their profile rates over time as they gain experience. If you look at job ads in the brick and mortar world, you will often see "Rate commensurate with experience." I doubt if this would affect the OP much, as he has a good profile anyway. However, this is a general oDesk policy. That's the problem. What if, as was mentioned, this happens to a contractor with no or very little history? What if a contractor has several clients who do this?
mistykeith
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
13 of 80
A title change such as your suggesting wouldn't even happen. It is absurd to even consider it. As I said, if you did the work, the client was pleased, and you were paid, what is the problem? There are more important things to consider in this profession. Who cares if it is title "A", it is private. it is what it is. I understand the point that is trying to be made, but the bottom line is that the client has the right to change the title if there has been some kind of privacy issue with a competitor. If we are working for an individual, or an organization, or a huge corporation, it isn't a freelancer's business to say what they can choose to title a piece of work. Especially if we've been paid. That is just how it is, and it doesn't bother me one bit. I look at it like this, as long as I'm steering my own skills in a specific direction consistently, then most clients will assume the past job was very similar in skill to others on the profile. if they are interested in learning more they can interview and ask. It isn't difficult to do at all. Personally, it isn't going to bar someone from getting an opportunity in what they are good at. It's about marketing. It's about business, period. You either swim, or sink to the bottom of the pond. That is if you can't find an adequate solution to a situation. Might seem crass but, it happens to be a little harsh in this profession. I rarely complain and just bite the bullet. I see things like this all the time and just think it is a little useless to argue over.
zcrendel
14 of 80
> what is the problem? this is a problem for me, cause a lot of longterms happened because of good reputation for a short terms. Just a money for a shortterm sometimes useless while you have a longterm. Is there a problem if client won't have ability to change freelancer's history? Whatever - everyone has his own strategy and in mine a job without a title unacceptable because it is useless. Could you explain why need history at all if it can be changed the way it described in topic? Everyone who wrote and will write - just contact your client nicely. Guys you did not read comments carefully, client dissapeared - seems he is not online anymore.
zcrendel
15 of 80
> If I was your client I wouldn't change anything for you. You're being obnoxious really. I always do all agreementes with the client before to start the job and follow them straightforward if you want to do whatever you want with my history without even contacting me before with no respect to me - you are not my client for sure and I will not cry about believe me. This accident happened just because history is not reliable as it must and expected to be (I'm sure client did not know it will affect my own history) - it is HISTORY and it must reflects what I worked on, but no the wishes of a client - if he want to change whatever he must do it thru oDesk support or at least contact me / ask for a permission to change - just like feedback work. Hey, actually since you can change the work description you can leave a somekind of feedback in it for a job which can't be hide by a freelancer - do you wanna have ability to cheat someone this way or why so much negavite to me about raising this topic? Moreover, I did this job not for money, but mostly for a reputation - I helped a guy with his peace of code and I choosed this job because ot it's title so it will help me to find more work - not anymore with a title of "a" (very dissapointed!).
mistykeith
Community Guru
16 of 80
But you chose to do the job for the client? You just said you did it for earning a reputation. I'm assuming you received 5 stars? This really isn't unscrupulous, and that is my opinion. He didn't cheat you of money, and he didn't down your performance. He just decided to go back and title it "A". Probably for business reasons. I've had it happen on me, myself. I didn't worry about it. One of my jobs was changed from "Editor" to "Private" and I never complained. I had an idea it was a privacy issue. A client will take their business privacy over your need for a title to the job.
zcrendel
17 of 80
Did you read carefully? > I choosed this job because ot it's title I don't need just 5 starts for undefined job done - it does not help me much with getting more work in my professional area, maybe for you it is, for me it is not. I did that job because of it's title, without a title those 5 stars is nothing to me. btw, if client need to change something in my resume/history he must, must, must do that thru oDesk team and give them a reason - why he want to do that - it's a serious approach with respect to both sides - a freelancer and a client. Otherwise client becomes a master over freelance's history - he can write anything in a completed work (which freelancer can't hide in his history). This is a bug which may help bad client get over feedback system at all. Thus this topic is more just mine and similar cases (title and description), but a bad system design which affects also feedbacks.
mistykeith
Community Guru
18 of 80
Clients have to speak to Odesk support to change a title, I know they do because a past client of mine confirmed that with me. Now, unless you're asking your client to consider your needs in a respective manner I am telling you, you won't make any headway. Spamming their inbox is a good way to get reported as well. You request one time to change the title to something that makes sense (read my other post on this thread) The job doesn't have to be exactly the way you want it titled. It is and always will be up to the client.
zcrendel
19 of 80
I see history is as history - I do not need to ask clients to change whatever, because history must be reliable. Could you please explain your view on this and please tell me - WHY I have to check my history and completed jobs all the time to just be sure it was not changed to anything what client may just wish it to change? And then get a lot of headache by pleasing every client (which may just not responding, because he is not online for a long time) to change to something at least good as it was when I did the job.
mistykeith
Community Guru
20 of 80
From just reading some of your comments here in this post, it is almost as if you're saying that you don't feel you owe anymore respectful thought to your past client once you've received payment? That is not good. In fact, you're always supposed to give respect to expect it back. Just because they aren't responding isn't reason to act like an A**..... And your statement here: "get a lot of headache by pleasing every client" what is that supposed to mean? You're supposed to give 150% each and every time and if something goes awry move on. Suck it up. It's part of life, part of the profession. You're really sweating something that is useless.....again, my opinion.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS