cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware! oDesk allows Clients to change Freelancer's history for a closed and paid contracts - i.e. at any time

mistykeith
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
51 of 80
my feelings... 🙂
coffman-robin
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
52 of 80
I feel that you are completely justified and I never got the first impression from any of your posts that you ever said or did anything rude or childish to your client or anyone else. You voice you case emphatically here. Justifiably so. Bravo for you! The job title and description, neither one, should be up for change without the freelancers approval. It is quite like changing a contract after the fact. As I said before, it is like allowing the client to mess with the freelancer's personal resume. There have been times when the deciding factor on whether I take a job or not is whether I really want that job title in my history. I know I could discuss it with the client, but sometimes it is just not worth it. I have accepted jobs because of their title and rejected them for the same reason. I can understand making the job description private, but nothing more. Certainly no changes. It is silly to think that the title doesn't matter and isn't worth a complaint. This is a huge flaw in the system and a justifiable complaint. Thanks for bringing it up, Grigory.
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
53 of 80
It is altering a contract without the consent of both parties and should not be allowed. The OP was hired as a Unix C Programmer, not as an "A".
marciamalory
Community Guru
54 of 80
If a client hires so many people that they have to give them codes, why not Editor 1,Editor 2 or Programmer A, Programmer B? I would not want to work with a client that has so little respect for me that they can't bother to give me a relevant job title. How would you feel if you were hired to build a website or to edit a large document and one day you looked at your profile and the job title was changed to data entry?
marciamalory
Community Guru
55 of 80
I just did a freelancer search for a job title of mine that is not mentioned in my overview. I was invited by a client I already have another contract with. I show up in search results. ETA: Scam opportunity? Suppose I want to start a new career as a German-English translator. I have no experience. I contact one of my old five-star clients and ask them to change my job title to German-English translation in exchange for a Paypal payment. Also, issues of accuracy for tax audits. When I file my taxes, I have to report the nature of my business. Receipts and expenses may need to be itemized.Some freelancers are required to create invoices for payment. There are so many things wrong with this it's mind-boggling.
stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
56 of 80
You mean with this subject in particular, or with oDesk in general?
junelle
Community Guru
Junelle A Member Since: May 31, 2009
57 of 80
[quote=Stephen B.]You mean with this subject in particular, or with oDesk in general?[/quote] uhmmm... both?
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
Try harder, or care less.
marciamalory
Community Guru
58 of 80
I was referring to this particular subject but, yeah, it works in general, too.
coffman-robin
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
59 of 80
Is anyone from oDesk ever going to actually chime in on this topic? Regardless of the unprofessionalism shown by some posters who simply chose to attack the OP, Grigory, on this topic, this is a serious issue. We have stated our cases about the ways in which this flaw can negatively affect a freelancer, the ways clients can use it to cheat the feedback system, the fact that it makes a mockery of the term "history" if it doesn't actually reflect the facts of history, and the fact that it is clearly allowing for an unagreed-upon change to what should be a standing contract after the fact. Your turn. What say ye, oDesk?
mistykeith
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
60 of 80
If you're implying I attacked the OP, that is not fair. Anyone who goes back and reads the discussion I've had with him will see I was giving my own advice. I love how everyone just chooses to formulate their own ideas on things like this, but oh well. Yes, I stated that I thought the OP wasn't handling the situation right, because it came across as complaining instead of talking with their client. If the client was unresponsive that is just something that many of us have to deal with. But taking it to support is about all that can be done. Nothing can be achieved in the forums (other than a clear argument that is apparent). At any rate, I certainly don't feel I was in the wrong in stating how I thought the best practice could be done. And--I definitely wasn't unprofessional. However, we all have the opinions, so tsk..tsk..tsk.. It's funny how this has gone on and on and on. However, I will say that there a couple of other posters who pointed out to the OP that being respectful to their past client was the right thing to do, just as I said. Again, this isn't the end of the world and also.... After looking at the past job history there are many jobs there with different titles. Having something like "Coder" would be perfect. It doesn't have to say "Unicex". My opinion yet again Odesk.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS