cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware! oDesk allows Clients to change Freelancer's history for a closed and paid contracts - i.e. at any time

msayno
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
71 of 80
I've read the entire thread and the thought that clients can change the work title is quite alarming, especially if you've ended on a sour note.. I think we're all grateful to have a job in these uncertain times and I agree with you that the remark is rude, plain and simple. Grigory is rather polite in the replies; maybe I'd lose it if it were me lol..
natacharodriguez
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
72 of 80
[quote=Robin C.]We have stated our cases about the ways in which this flaw can negatively affect a freelancer, the ways clients can use it to cheat the feedback system, the fact that it makes a mockery of the term "history" if it doesn't actually reflect the facts of history, and the fact that it is clearly allowing for an unagreed-upon change to what should be a standing contract after the fact. Your turn. What say ye, oDesk?[/quote] until we hear from oDesk.
zcrendel
Grigory M Member Since: Oct 13, 2009
73 of 80
Any chance to hear something from oDesk support team at this thread?
natacharodriguez
Community Guru
74 of 80
I'm so happy to see the "a" gone from your profile, and back to the original title 🙂
zcrendel
75 of 80
Thank you Natasha for a kind words! True that has changed, but I still got no info from support and I checked that only because you said that's happened. What does this change means? Does that mean what oDesk won't allow clients to change job titles (at least titles) for a closed (in progress?) contracts in freelancer's history?
natacharodriguez
Community Guru
76 of 80
Titles of jobs in progress can still be changed, but not on ended contracts. Actually, it depends, from what I could see, if you are hired by the same client under the same job posting, the edit feature is there. From now on, if a client wants to rehire, it's best to ask the client to create a new job post. Ok, I know this is not good 😞
coffman-robin
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
77 of 80
[quote=Natasha R.]Titles of jobs in progress can still be changed, but not on ended contracts. Actually, it depends, from what I could see, if you are hired by the same client under the same job posting, the edit feature is there.[/quote] Did you actually check this out? Clients no longer have the ability to change the job title on closed contracts? YAY! Victory number one. I would personally like to know that they cannot change the title or description for any open or closed contracts without the freelancer consenting to the change, but we will start with a small victory, I guess. OK, oDesk, now we know that you are apparently listening despite your silence. We want to hear from you on some other issues, but if you don't want to talk, simply making them go away is OK too. (the auto-hide feature can just disappear.)
natacharodriguez
Community Guru
78 of 80
I made a mistake, I checked again and it has nothing to do with getting hired under the same job post, it has to do with clients closing the jobs or just making them private. If the contract is closed there is not option to edit, but if the client hired you and just made it private it can be edited. It is actually quite common not to close jobs, I know lots of clients just leave them private. I assume this is what happened to Grigory, the client probably never closed it. Clients help center: You can edit everything about your job, except one thing—you can’t change the terms from hourly to fixed-price or the other way around. To change this detail, you’ll have to close your job and repost. https://support.odesk.com/entries/23127946-How-do-I-edit-a-job-I-posted-
coffman-robin
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
79 of 80
I am so glad that this issue was fixed and your history reads as it should again. 🙂
zcrendel
80 of 80
Thank you Robin! But this issue won't be finished without any information/official position of oDesk. I hope we will see that soon and then it will be closed and freelancers can sleep well knowing what such things won't happen to them or what support will take care of it (not ignore/just pass) if such an issue will happen. Regards, Grigory
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS