🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Beware of **Edited**
Page options
sbfeldman
Community Member

Beware of **Edited**

Beware of getting trapped by a data entry posting for $45 per hour with response coming from **Edited for Community Guidelines**. These people are posing as representatives of **Edited for Community Guidelines** and will tell you that you have the job, send you a phony employment letter, and then request your bank information so they can supposedly deposit a check for equipment they are sending you that you will need to sign for.

When I said I wanted a paper check, they told me I no longer had the job.

2 REPLIES 2
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

You really ought to do some reading about how to use Upwork before you bid on any more projects. Receiving payments off of Upwork - whether it's a paper cheque or not - is strictly against the terms of service, and even discussing this with a client can get your account permanently banned. You're also not allowed to accuse specific people or businesses of being scammers - scammers are obviously not going to give you their real names, so you've just accused an innocent person and a company that had nothing to do with it.

Data entry pays around $3-5/hour on Upwork, so if you see any more data entry jobs that promise relatively high rates of pay - especially one-sentence project descriptions saying that it's a "simple" typing job - it's safe to assume they're scams. Nobody buys office equipment for freelancers, either - that's not a thing. Read here to find out about other common scams: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

PradeepH

Hi Sue,

Thank you for reporting this. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the client. I checked the job post you were referring to and forwarded it to the relevant team to investigate this further. Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths