cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of Google Hangout Scams

Highlighted
Charlotte B Member Since: Feb 2, 2017
1 of 42

I am new to Upwork so please know my story may not be the same for every case. I have been contacted by a couple of companies that reached out to me about jobs. All of the positions seemed like legit work-from-home positions, and as that is what I have been searching for I got excited. I was hesitant about some of the proposals so once they asked for my resume and wanted an immediate interview I didn't follow through. Well tonight I did and I am so glad Google and the Upwork community exist. As the interview went on I decided to do a check on the company and the fact that the interview was being held through Google Hangout messaging (not phone or video call). My search led me to find others who had the EXACT same interview (verbatim) that I was in the process of having. After this I went back in to the google hangout and asked the "hiring manager" if the company was real and if the position was real. I was simply told they are a reputable company. I went further and explained what I had found online and they again said the position and company were real. At this point I simply asked if there was a way that I could confirm this information myself. At that point the person interviewing me said "yes hold on." Five minutes went by and I heard nothing. At this point I had been searching more and found more proof that this was a scam. I went back into the hangout to say I would not like to continue the interview, only to find that I could no longer message the person I had been speaking with for the last hour. So while I am upset that I just wasted an hour and a little bummed that the position was in fact too good to be true, I am happy that this community and others on google shared their experiences so I wouldn't be scammed. 

Others who went further in the interview reported being asked for their bank name (I was asked this and that is when I started the scam conversation), their home address, and cell phone number. After giving this information they said they were then told they would have a check sent to them for the necessary home equipment. I saw one story where the check was cashed and then the persons bank account was locked because of fraud. 

Do the research first if you are contacted by companies saying you will be a good fit for a position that you did not apply for. All of the companies that reached out to me had very little to say in the job post BUT the companies actually seemed legit online. I am not sure if people are using companies as covers or if the companies are actually fake but before confirming the google hangout interview, do more than just a search for the company website. Take the time to google the company name AND add scam to that search. 

Don't waste any unnecessary time and be cautious!

Hope this helps someone!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 42

There are literally dozens of posts like yours on here.  All newbies should read everything available before they start working on this platform.

Scammers use the names of real companies and even real company personnel.  Checking out the company will get you nowhere.

When you are new, you should expect that any invitations you get are scams.  Real invitations just don't happen until you have a lot of experience under your belt on Upwork.

You were smart to catch on but I encourage you to read everything available about getting started and recognizing scams.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Kent L Member Since: Feb 16, 2020
3 of 42

That's irritating... Then how is a newbie to start out to gain the experience for a real invitation if no one hires unless the person has experience already listed?... 

Highlighted
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
4 of 42

Hi Kent,

You can add your previous work history outside of Upwork to your profile to showcase your experience working on the field you specialize in. I understand that it takes some time to get hired when you're just starting. We want to help you have a better chance of getting noticed by clients so please consider checking out the following links to help you improve your profile:

8+ Tips to Help You Create a Profile That Stands Out

Upwork Profiles: Why a Great Title and Overview Can Make a Difference

A How-To Guide for Your Perfect Profile Picture

Get Your Profile to the Next Level with an Intro Video

4 Ways to Create a More Successful Portfolio Regardless of Your Skill Set

If you need any assistance or have some questions, please let us know. Thank you.

-Joanne
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 42

Kent L wrote:

That's irritating... Then how is a newbie to start out to gain the experience for a real invitation if no one hires unless the person has experience already listed?... 

As a US based  (the fake check nonsense only witks in the US) newbie you may want to treat any invite with a degree oof suspcicion. 

But ultimately, as long as you stick to some very basic rules, it's pretty hard to get dragged into a scam.

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

Highlighted
Angela O Member Since: Jul 25, 2017
6 of 42

Thank you. Just got emailed by this creep.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
7 of 42

Hi Angela,

If you haven't already, please flag this client's job post as inappropriate so that actions can be taken against it and his account. 

I invite you to read up on the Safety First! section of the freelancer resources we compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs to help you work safely on the platform. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Michael P Member Since: Oct 27, 2017
8 of 42

I have received the same sort of offers for "interviews". So sad.

Highlighted
Janice W Member Since: Jul 18, 2016
9 of 42

Who contacted you, can I ask?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
10 of 42

@Janice W wrote:

Who contacted you, can I ask?

The name doesn't really matter Janice as its certainly fake. If you have been invited to a job and told to interview on Google Hangouts it's a scam.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS