🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Beware of Scam!
Page options
shaybacon
Community Member

Beware of Scam!

Do I need to message Upwork directly at this point? This company claims to be "pro-build" LLC conducted an interview and everything over Skype. Then tells me they are sending a copy of the check for me to deposit and get the materials for the job. Cmon.  At this point I speak up and press them. No response. And the job is no longer posted. All I have is the message where she send the initial interview offer. Any advice/experience greatly appreciated!!

4 REPLIES 4
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Nothing you need to do. Somebody else flagged the job posting and it was taken down by upwork. 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Please, for your own sake, hit 'pause' and understand the platform better before continuing. It's a serious ToS violation to communicate with a prospective client by any means other than the UW message platform. Don't do interviews over Skype and you will avoid this kind of scam.

pgiambalvo
Community Member

It is a violation of the ToS to communicate off of Upwork before a contract has been set up, so never do that. If a client wants you to, there's a very good chance that it is a scam. Flag them as being inappropriate. It's good that you reported your experience here though. And plaese check this out: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/From-the-Trust-and-Safety-Team-How-to-Spot-a-Scam/ba-...

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

HI Tesha,

I’ve escalated this report to the correct team for their review and the project has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. Please check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members